The Student Room Group

Hate is too mild of a Word for the NHS

The NHS consultants that I came across are the most dishonest people I’ve ever met. They cause harm and suffering and I will not address them as Dr, since they can’t even keep their Hippocratic oath to their patients. It was a huge mistake to register with the NHS, and when you ask to be removed , they create more obstacles and lies. Asking to be removed from a practice is called deduction, however you are still in their system, total removal is through the PSCE online portal and can only be done by GP practice administration staff, who obstruct you and pretend as if they don’t know how to action a removal. Ask for a letter of removal confirmation. Then don’t EVER register for the NHS again. One can’t live in the U.K. if one needs a functional health care system.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought consultants were not addressed as Mr not Doctor?

Most consultants are worth their weight in gold (but they are human so I guess several in a % don't deserve the space they occupy as in all professions) but the system under which they operate is outdated, inefficient and woefully short of state of the art diagnostic and surgical equipment.

Clearly you are venting off but your option here is not to get sick or just get health insurance and pay privately?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Most consultants are worth their weight in gold (but they are human so I guess several in a % don't deserve the space they occupy as in all professions) but the system under which they operate is outdated, inefficient and woefully short of state of the art diagnostic and surgical equipment.

Clearly you are venting off but your option here is not to get sick or just get health insurance and pay privately?

Yes it would be much safer to set up a private plan, which works out to be about £50 per month and yes they are referred to as Mr not Doctor. I’m not just venting , I’ve been harmed personally by the NHS and have solid evidence to support my public statements, now I’m trying to get away from the NHS and had to advise the assistant practice manager on the procedure (a 5 minute online form) but she still hasn’t figured it out. Hopefully today she can manage it.
Original post by Dorothea10
The NHS consultants that I came across are the most dishonest people I’ve ever met. They cause harm and suffering and I will not address them as Dr, since they can’t even keep their Hippocratic oath to their patients. It was a huge mistake to register with the NHS, and when you ask to be removed , they create more obstacles and lies. Asking to be removed from a practice is called deduction, however you are still in their system, total removal is through the PSCE online portal and can only be done by GP practice administration staff, who obstruct you and pretend as if they don’t know how to action a removal. Ask for a letter of removal confirmation. Then don’t EVER register for the NHS again. One can’t live in the U.K. if one needs a functional health care system.

Errr... aside from administrative slowness what exactly is the problem here? Has your inability to de-register with an NHS practice affected you in some way?

I have never personally had an issue with doing this.
Reply 4
Original post by SHallowvale
Errr... aside from administrative slowness what exactly is the problem here? Has your inability to de-register with an NHS practice affected you in some way?

I have never personally had an issue with doing this.

Yes I’ve deregistered from the practice but I also need to be removed from the entire NHS system because I’m a German citizen and prefer to continue my German medical insurance, however I can’t be on the NHS. I do need to go to Germany now to get major lower limb bone deformity corrective surgery to repair what the NHS had done to me. Today I will be continuing to pursue my removal off the NHS system.
Reply 5
Yes I’ve deregistered from the practice but I also need to be removed from the entire NHS system because I’m a German citizen and prefer to continue my German medical insurance, however I can’t be on the NHS. I do need to go to Germany now to get major lower limb bone deformity corrective surgery to repair what the NHS had done to me. Today I will be continuing to pursue my removal off the NHS system.

The German system of healthcare is a very efficient one, and I sense your anger and your despair at your experience with the UK National Health. We are afraid to change here in the UK. When ever we defend reputation at the expense of effective outcome we are afraid to confront failures in a system. Consequently the system will never change for the better.

For all of the individual failures we still have a stalwart team of front line NHS healthcare staff who do the best they can with the limited facilities they are given. If you are nearly dead you get an amazing acute emergency service. Anything else in between you are getting a less than effective service. We are mired at every level with people who are employed in the administration of the NHS and who are out of their depth, are ineffective and are at the mercy of higher management who slavishly impose rules or systems of working that just do not work for the staff, the system or the end user. The NHS management and Government 'massage' NHS waiting lists to show 'efficiency' by how we deal with these numbers, not for the effectiveness of outcome of the users of the health service. But this problem has been brewing for decades as the health service and its management has not kept pace with the obvious and apparent population surges from the year 2000 onwards. This is not just a case of throwing more and more money at the NHS system. This is money which we just do not have, and if given to the NHS invariably gets swallowed up in pay rises. The NHS needs more radical reform cutting out layers of dead wood management, examining process (which has already been done to find best practice) and then to reform staffing and NHS income renumeration schemes which favour maintaining bean counting.

I hope you can achieve your aim of getting corrective surgery to help you gain your mobility.

If you feel that an individual has grossly failed in your care then do something about that at informal or formal means. But do it at the outset knowing what you want to achieve and see as an effective end result? If you are angry at a specific or an individual but then deal with that but be careful that your overwhelming anger becomes all consuming at everything as a blanket emotion that encourages 'mission creep' The NHS is not perfect, individuals do their best but still make mistakes. The NHS functions on a life line with staff burnt out and worn out. We could do a lot better but this needs courageous politicians and a will from everyone across the board to do the 'tough love' needed to create a private business style management for the NHS. The very people who would block change are those NHS managers on extremely high salaries who claim to be so important they create a status quo for their own benefit that they would not wish to change. Those directors on boards who spend more time and money wishing to destroy critics who dare to speak the truth. Meetings, discussions and enquiries are a smoke and mirrors veil of appearing to be seen to be doing 'something' about badly needed change but without having the billions the service badly needs.

Politicians are afraid to do what is needed for fear of losing votes and we all suffer.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttly
The German system of healthcare is a very efficient one, and I sense your anger and your despair at your experience with the UK National Health. We are afraid to change here in the UK. When ever we defend reputation at the expense of effective outcome we are afraid to confront failures in a system. Consequently the system will never change for the better.

For all of the individual failures we still have a stalwart team of front line NHS healthcare staff who do the best they can with the limited facilities they are given. If you are nearly dead you get an amazing acute emergency service. Anything else in between you are getting a less than effective service. We are mired at every level with people who are employed in the administration of the NHS and who are out of their depth, are ineffective and are at the mercy of higher management who slavishly impose rules or systems of working that just do not work for the staff, the system or the end user. The NHS management and Government 'massage' NHS waiting lists to show 'efficiency' by how we deal with these numbers, not for the effectiveness of outcome of the users of the health service. But this problem has been brewing for decades as the health service and its management has not kept pace with the obvious and apparent population surges from the year 2000 onwards. This is not just a case of throwing more and more money at the NHS system. This is money which we just do not have, and if given to the NHS invariably gets swallowed up in pay rises. The NHS needs more radical reform cutting out layers of dead wood management, examining process (which has already been done to find best practice) and then to reform staffing and NHS income renumeration schemes which favour maintaining bean counting.

I hope you can achieve your aim of getting corrective surgery to help you gain your mobility.

If you feel that an individual has grossly failed in your care then do something about that at informal or formal means. But do it at the outset knowing what you want to achieve and see as an effective end result? If you are angry at a specific or an individual but then deal with that but be careful that your overwhelming anger becomes all consuming at everything as a blanket emotion that encourages 'mission creep' The NHS is not perfect, individuals do their best but still make mistakes. The NHS functions on a life line with staff burnt out and worn out. We could do a lot better but this needs courageous politicians and a will from everyone across the board to do the 'tough love' needed to create a private business style management for the NHS. The very people who would block change are those NHS managers on extremely high salaries who claim to be so important they create a status quo for their own benefit that they would not wish to change. Those directors on boards who spend more time and money wishing to destroy critics who dare to speak the truth. Meetings, discussions and enquiries are a smoke and mirrors veil of appearing to be seen to be doing 'something' about badly needed change but without having the billions the service badly needs.

Politicians are afraid to do what is needed for fear of losing votes and we all suffer.

I agree with you concerning the hospital directors and politicians involved in the NHS. In fact I have a few theories of my own concerning many of those politicians; this is also why I don’t want my personal information at their disposal. They are untrustworthy people.

I'm sorry to hear your experience with the NHS has been a bad one, but I'm not sure I understand why you need to be fully deregistered from the NHS before you can get health care in another country?
Reply 8
Original post by SHallowvale
I'm sorry to hear your experience with the NHS has been a bad one, but I'm not sure I understand why you need to be fully deregistered from the NHS before you can get health care in another country?

Being integrated into the Government internal NHS NHS system is viewed as having medical insurance, when, in my case, I don’t , because I won’t avail of any further NHS services for as long as I complete my studies in this country. If injured here again I would rather fly to Germany.
Being integrated into the Government internal NHS NHS system is viewed as having medical insurance, when, in my case, I don’t , because I won’t avail of any further NHS services for as long as I complete my studies in this country. If injured here again I would rather fly to Germany.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand you.

Suppose you're injured in the UK and want medical treatment. If you fly to Germany to get treatment, what difference will it make if you are registered with the NHS or not?
Reply 10

Oh dear. Are you ok? It sounds to me like you need help. I hope you find peace with yourself.

All the very best.
Reply 11
Original post by hotpud
Oh dear. Are you ok? It sounds to me like you need help. I hope you find peace with yourself.

All the very best.

Thanks so much for your kind words; yes I’m arranging the required surgeries in Germany and the NHS are deleting me from their system.
Reply 12
I have softened a little bit in my views on the NHS although I still think they were wrong to focus so much on covid that other things like cancer screening got delayed. I had a few spats on twitter with nurses about lockdowns but when we calmed down and talked to each we started to understand a bit more about the other persons point of view.
Reply 13
Original post by Megacent
I have softened a little bit in my views on the NHS although I still think they were wrong to focus so much on covid that other things like cancer screening got delayed. I had a few spats on twitter with nurses about lockdowns but when we calmed down and talked to each we started to understand a bit more about the other persons point of view.

In the U.K. the NHS is the main employer, alongside other government agencies
Reply 14
In the U.K. the NHS is the main employer, alongside other government agencies

I think you will find that healthcare is the main employer in most developed countries.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 15
The NHS consultants that I came across are the most dishonest people I’ve ever met. They cause harm and suffering and I will not address them as Dr, since they can’t even keep their Hippocratic oath to their patients.

I think it’s a case of jealousy. There are mean spirited people in every walk of life. People who relish in their perceived power position over other people and instead of encouraging bright people they would rather keep them down.
Reply 16
Original post by hotpud
I think you will find that healthcare is the main employer in most developed countries.

Yes - that’s why it’s not in that health cares best interests to reduce patient volume; except in China where Doctors are paid according to how many cases they’ve actually „cured“
Reply 17
Yes - that’s why it’s not in that health cares best interests to reduce patient volume; except in China where Doctors are paid according to how many cases they’ve actually „cured“

And you would feel comfortable that if you had a complex condition that probably wasn't curable, a doctor probably wouldn't be interested in you because they wouldn't get paid?

The opposite is true in the US where lucrative insurance pay-outs ensure that you get more treatment than you actually need which is equally harmful to patients.
Reply 18
Original post by hotpud
And you would feel comfortable that if you had a complex condition that probably wasn't curable, a doctor probably wouldn't be interested in you because they wouldn't get paid?

The opposite is true in the US where lucrative insurance pay-outs ensure that you get more treatment than you actually need which is equally harmful to patients.

In retrospect health care globally has its pros and cons and every case is unique. In my case the bone implant surgery will repair the orthopedic damage done to my legs. I do not have any other health issues, therefore for the NHS to leave me crawling on the ground, unable to access a wheelchair, fending for myself is tantamount to Human Rights abuses alongside criminal medical negligence. When I complete my studies in the U.K. , I am 100 % leaving. My focus in the next few weeks is going to Germany, getting the required surgeries, being up on crutches and then successfully completing the final year of my undergraduate degree. I’ve applied into the DVM graduate degree for September 2024, so hopefully my mobility will be restored before then.
Reply 19
Original post by hotpud
Because private healthcare is squeaky clean?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63603125

And just this morning
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mum-dies-turkey-hospital-gastric-27320739

The NHS is what it is. It is in a position of trying to provide healthcare to more people than it can deliver. If you can afford private care, then go for it, but don't be surprised that if you end up with something complicated, you end up back in the NHS as private providers tend to concentrate on the easy stuff.

As Long as im in the U.K. I’m not going to put myself in situations of risk. I’m very healthy, but the NHS assaulted me with Orthopedic injuries via the medical negligence that took place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending