The Student Room Group

Customer made me uncomfortable at work today

Feel free to move this. I just had my first day of work at a supermarket today and one customer made me feel uncomfortable by making a weird comment to me. After I scanned his shopping he asked "how much would it be for a kiss and a cuddle". I know this is fairly minor considering what other people go through but it made me a bit uncomfortable and I don't really know how to deal with it. I don't want to report it or anything but at the same time I just feel like I need to get this off my chest. Honestly it really sucked because I enjoyed my first day at work besides that. Any advice for the future is appreciated.
First of all, I’m sorry, that’s disgusting. We all just have to deal with dumbasses, wherever you are in the world, and there’s so much sexism that it’s basically a potential 24/7 now which is f’ed up. But next time, just show the guy you’re not scared. Reply like someone they would call rude names. Some suggestions
-“Oh, I don’t know, should I ask your regular girl?”
-“Free, with the police officer you’re going to meet next!”
-“You appear to be blind sir, this is a supermarket, people actually have shame & decency here”
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Feel free to move this. I just had my first day of work at a supermarket today and one customer made me feel uncomfortable by making a weird comment to me. After I scanned his shopping he asked "how much would it be for a kiss and a cuddle". I know this is fairly minor considering what other people go through but it made me a bit uncomfortable and I don't really know how to deal with it. I don't want to report it or anything but at the same time I just feel like I need to get this off my chest. Honestly it really sucked because I enjoyed my first day at work besides that. Any advice for the future is appreciated.

Some people get laughs out of making others feel uncomfortable and there are a number of ways of handling it:
1) Just laugh it off
2)pretend you didn’t hear
3)Reply far more than he could afford
4) Reply, I don’t know maybe I should ask the customers at the surrounding tills.
It all depends on the person asking and his attitude. An OAP accompanied by his wife is no menace to you so answers 1 and 2 are sufficient. If however it is someone younger who knows he shouldn’t be asking and is deliberately trying to make you feel uncomfortable then 3 and 4 are perfect depending on how confident you feel
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice guys, it honestly just shook me up a bit but I'm feeling more prepared for my next shift now 😊 fingers crossed there's no creeps
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice guys, it honestly just shook me up a bit but I'm feeling more prepared for my next shift now 😊 fingers crossed there's no creeps

I don’t want to disappoint you but there will always be creeps in this kind of job role. Both of my daughters have at some stage worked tills in supermarkets and what was at the beginning an unsettling experience soon became something they laughed about
. Don’t get me wrong, they never enjoyed the comments, but with time comes confidence, and they got very good at putting people very firmly back in their places whilst keeping a very polite smile on their faces. You will too.
But if someone really does overstep the mark, don’t hesitate to wring your bell to summon a supervisor a and explain what is going on. You are not there to be made to feel uncomfortable, so if it gets to be too much let management know. They are responsible for your working environment.
Haven't these problems come up a million times before from both sides.Where somene has shown an interest in a checkout operator who isn't interested or customers who are being put into awkward situations with store staff.
Then what are people to do when there is a genuine interest between a customer and staff but they don't want to say anything incase they come across as creepy.
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
Some people get laughs out of making others feel uncomfortable and there are a number of ways of handling it:
1) Just laugh it off
2)pretend you didn’t hear
3)Reply far more than he could afford
4) Reply, I don’t know maybe I should ask the customers at the surrounding tills.
It all depends on the person asking and his attitude. An OAP accompanied by his wife is no menace to you so answers 1 and 2 are sufficient. If however it is someone younger who knows he shouldn’t be asking and is deliberately trying to make you feel uncomfortable then 3 and 4 are perfect depending on how confident you feel

I'd feel far more creeped out by an OAP saying that than a younger person...
Reply 7
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Haven't these problems come up a million times before from both sides.Where somene has shown an interest in a checkout operator who isn't interested or customers who are being put into awkward situations with store staff.
Then what are people to do when there is a genuine interest between a customer and staff but they don't want to say anything incase they come across as creepy.

How can you have genuine interest in somone you have known for 2 minutes whilst they were scanning your shopping? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
I'd feel far more creeped out by an OAP saying that than a younger person...

In some ways yes, but I just think it’s a generation where depending on background misogyny is rife and it’s too late to change an 80 year old. If accompanied by his wife OP will know it’s all mouth and no trous….so although not pleasant it’s not exactly threatening either. Coming from a middle aged person I imagine that the personal comfort zone feels more threatened.
Either way, there is nothing like being a cashier for teaching you how to deal with disagreeable people!
Reply 9
You can just laugh it off or ignore them
Original post by black tea
How can you have genuine interest in somone you have known for 2 minutes whilst they were scanning your I misread the first bit where it says they were new shopping? :rolleyes:

In general.
It reminded me of this old sketch series from Harry Enfield around this subject. It's better if you don't look up what the ladies are saying in Polish until after you've seen a few of those sketches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ksjT43pt0
Original post by TheStupidMoon
In general.
It reminded me of this old sketch series from Harry Enfield around this subject. It's better if you don't look up what the ladies are saying in Polish until after you've seen a few of those sketches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ksjT43pt0

I understand Polish :tongue: I don't think knowing what they said added much though. I shed a tear for the price of the cappucinos in that video :redface:

Not that deep. Ignore it and move on. If it is repetitive by the same customer then report it. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest