The Student Room Group

gradient of curves and differentiation

I am stuck on part c.

Here is my working:

Reply 1
Original post by Sasuto
I am stuck on part c.

Here is my working:

Your part a) has a typo on the numerator which affects c).

For c) the derivative should be very simple (corrected) ,but think about what the original "curve" looks like with k=4. Try factorising.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Your part a) has a typo on the numerator which affects c).

For c) the derivative should be very simple (corrected) ,but think about what the original "curve" looks like with k=4. Try factorising.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! I corrected it and have factorised but I am still unsure on what to think for the curve for when k=4.

Also, does my part b look right?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sasuto
Ah, thanks for pointing that out! I corrected it and have factorised but I am still unsure on what to think for the curve for when k=4.

Also, does my part b look right?

For c) it asks for the gradient which should be trivial? For the factorised original equation, just root line 2 and what does the curve correspond to? The third line isnt correct.

For b), the numbers look too large? Your working would benefit from an extra line or two.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
For c) it asks for the gradient which should be trivial? For the factorised original equation, just root line 2 and what does the curve correspond to? The third line isnt correct.

For b), the numbers look too large? Your working would benefit from an extra line or two.

I feel so silly. Sorry, now I see it.

Omg... I just realised. I took away 12 from 48 instead of dividing it... Dang. Yes, my working would definitely benefit from a few extra lines. And here I thought I was being efficient doing it all in my head. Nevermind. Always write your working, lesson learnt.

Quick Reply

Latest