The Student Room Group

Study Abroad Occupational Health Check

Hi there! I'm currently in the process of applying to Study Abroad; I've been accepted by a university and will be submitting my visa application next Thursday. However like last year; my uni is requesting I get an Occupational Health assessment again.

Story is; I got one last year during my study abroad application, and I was told it wasn't recommended I study abroad because I couldn't prove I had been recovered from my eating disorder (anorexia) for long enough, and my weight was only 46kg (at 168cm).

I took a year out to work so I could save up and be certain I'd have plenty of money when going this year; and when I got my medical checks for study abroad last month, my weight was up to 49.5kg. I know this is still underweight for my height, however it doesn't impact my daily life. I'm on my feet for 6 hours straight at work and manage to interract with customers very well and do plenty of cleaning and heavy lifting there too. Additionally I haven't been ill all year. My doctor didn't have any concerns when I got my medical checks done, and my study abroad university didn't have any concerns when they received the medical report (which included details of my past eating disorder.)

I'm better set up for study abroad this year. I have savings from my job, I was awarded a £4500 JASSO Scholarship; and I got given a room in on-campus accommodation. So I'll be safely accommodated and financially stable. Despite all this; I can't help but worry they'll still tell me I'm not well enough; am I silly for worrying? Is there anything I can do or say to make sure they agree with me that I'm ready to go. I feel ready and confident to go this year and I don't want that confidence to be taken away. . .

Sorry for the length; it's just really been stressing me out. . .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending