The Student Room Group

Tuition Loan for Year 1 but not Year 2

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me understand, because I'm totally freaking out!

I reapplied for finance yesterday - had my application approved and received my entitlement on my online account today - omg yay, how quick!
Had a look at my entitlement letter and it says I'm not getting any tuition loan, but max maintenance - not so yay, and hence the freak out!

I basically started studying in 2021 on a foundation year for mental health nursing. In 2022 I completed the first year of the mental health nursing degree course. Realised it wasn't for me, and changed course to Occupational Therapy. I then started my first year of OT in 2023. I received full tuition and maintenance help for all of these years of study. I've now applied for year 2 of the OT course and as stated above, only get maintenance loan. Can someone explain if this is correct as I had been told that as MH Nursing and OT were the AHP courses I would receive full support.
Original post by melinoe
Hi there,
Hoping someone can help me understand, because I'm totally freaking out!
I reapplied for finance yesterday - had my application approved and received my entitlement on my online account today - omg yay, how quick!
Had a look at my entitlement letter and it says I'm not getting any tuition loan, but max maintenance - not so yay, and hence the freak out!
I basically started studying in 2021 on a foundation year for mental health nursing. In 2022 I completed the first year of the mental health nursing degree course. Realised it wasn't for me, and changed course to Occupational Therapy. I then started my first year of OT in 2023. I received full tuition and maintenance help for all of these years of study. I've now applied for year 2 of the OT course and as stated above, only get maintenance loan. Can someone explain if this is correct as I had been told that as MH Nursing and OT were the AHP courses I would receive full support.
Hi there,

It could be that you may not of applied for the Tuition Fee support. Occupational Therapy is an AHP course so full funding would be provided. I would advise to contact us directly so we can check the application over to make sure the Tuition was applied for. Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Hi Ross,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it :smile:

I definitely applied for the Tuition Fee element! I've gone into my application today to see if I can make a change to my application and it says based on the information already provided I am not entitled to the tuition fee and therefore unable to make changes to that part of the application.
Original post by melinoe
Hi Ross,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it :smile:
I definitely applied for the Tuition Fee element! I've gone into my application today to see if I can make a change to my application and it says based on the information already provided I am not entitled to the tuition fee and therefore unable to make changes to that part of the application.

Hi Melinoe,

I would advise to contact us directly so we can check the application over to make sure the Tuition was applied for. You can use the live chat option online in your account, or call us on 0300 100 0607.
Thanks,
Claire
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Just in case anyone reads this thread having a similar query:

I used the virtual assistant chat feature on my student finance account for help as pre Claire and Ross' feedback.

Because my application was automatically assessed by the system it overlooked my entitlement for tuition fee support. Application has been referred for a reassessment to take in consideration the fact I'm on an exception course. Therefore, I should receive new entitlement summary within 5 days to reflect full tuition support.
Original post by melinoe
Just in case anyone reads this thread having a similar query:
I used the virtual assistant chat feature on my student finance account for help as pre Claire and Ross' feedback.
Because my application was automatically assessed by the system it overlooked my entitlement for tuition fee support. Application has been referred for a reassessment to take in consideration the fact I'm on an exception course. Therefore, I should receive new entitlement summary within 5 days to reflect full tuition support.
Glad this is being sorted for you!
If you need help with anything else let us know.
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending