The Student Room Group

Do you think it's unfair for students to have extra time + laptops?

I have Autism and ADHD and use a laptop and have 25% extra time yet sometimes I barely finish the exam in time, I've heard a few people saying I'm privileged for this, what do you think?
Reply 1
Each person has their own needs, it just happens to be that you need the extra time and a laptop to help accommodate your needs due to your medical conditions during the exam.

You said you barely finish in time so clearly it shows you will benefit more from it compared to others that don't have the same conditions, ADHD etc.
Reply 2
Original post by DoomSain
Each person has their own needs, it just happens to be that you need the extra time and a laptop to help accommodate your needs due to your medical conditions during the exam.

You said you barely finish in time so clearly it shows you will benefit more from it compared to others that don't have the same conditions, ADHD etc.

Yea! im just saying that some people think I'm at an unfair advantage :frown:
Reply 3
No I don't think it's unfair, I know a few people who had it more unfair because they didn't have extra time when they did need it from undiagnosed issues. If people think you're at an unfair advantage they're just uninformed, extra time exists for a reason
Original post by AlexG06
I have Autism and ADHD and use a laptop and have 25% extra time yet sometimes I barely finish the exam in time, I've heard a few people saying I'm privileged for this, what do you think?

It doesn't matter what other people think. Those few people don't live your life.

Just as it makes sense to give a person with a broken leg a crutch so they don't have to hop to get around, it makes sense to give someone more time when they need extra time to process instructions, to understand what is written in front of them and to focus on the task that they are doing. Thankfully, educators and examination boards understand this more than they did when I was a student in the 90s.
The reason you have the laptop and extra time is to level the playing field from the potential disadvantages your autism and ADHD can cause in those particular situations. That's the whole reason such arrangements exist! It's not a "bonus" - if you didn't need it to be on an even paying field, you wouldn't get it after all.
Original post by AlexG06

Call these people out. Every time. Some people don't know how rude they're being.
Neurodiversity is protected under the Equality Act 2010. It means we're not on an even playing field and therefore accommodations like 25% extra time and a separate room are required to bring us up to a level playing field.If there was no support we wouldn't be at the stage of whatever education we're taking.

It's not like exam accommodations are easy to access either :facepalm:
Reply 7
I don't think it's fair to say that you're privileged for having 25% extra time on exams. Extra time is a reasonable accommodation for students with disabilities, and it's not something that you should feel guilty about.
Reply 8
It will never be fully fair, everyone has different thinking, writing, reading speeds lots of people who need extra time don’t have it so that might be why they think you are privelaged to have it, because they need extra time as well
Reply 9
Original post by grhas98
It will never be fully fair, everyone has different thinking, writing, reading speeds lots of people who need extra time don’t have it so that might be why they think you are privelaged to have it, because they need extra time as well

If they have a disability or additional need, or think they do, then they ought to investigate this with their university. Otherwise they need to shut up and crack on.
Reply 10
Original post by AlexG06

I have Autism and ADHD as well, extra time is useful even if you don't use it in every exam. You can never know when you may feel overstimulated for example and might need the time. You clearly make use of it , and it's also useful to sit in a quieter room .
Original post by artful_lounger
The reason you have the laptop and extra time is to level the playing field from the potential disadvantages your autism and ADHD can cause in those particular situations. That's the whole reason such arrangements exist! It's not a "bonus" - if you didn't need it to be on an even paying field, you wouldn't get it after all.

The above is correct. You were previously at a disadvantage, and these adjustments are there to amend that.

I also had extra time and a computer in exams due to a physical disability. It helped to mitigate the drawbacks that disability imposed.
(edited 10 months ago)
If they're faking their disability or whatever, in order to do this then yes (there's been cases of students faking that they have dyslexia or anxiety or whatever in order to get special access arrangements in exams) if they're not then no.
Original post by Talkative Toad
If they're faking their disability or whatever, in order to do this then yes (there's been cases of students faking that they have dyslexia or anxiety or whatever in order to get special access arrangements in exams) if they're not then no.

*in order to get this
Original post by AlexG06
I've heard a few people saying I'm privileged for this

This is awful. You have conditions that affect your performance at school, which is why you are entitled to extra time. THOSE people are "privileged" to NOT need extra time. These access arrangements are given to students to give them the same opportunities in exams as other students who don't have learning difficulties. They exist to accommodate everyone's needs. Equity, not equality.
You deserve to have the access arrangements - don't let anyone make you believe otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest