The Student Room Group

Emetophobia at uni

Hiya, hoping someone can help a gal out over here. I have emetophobia (which is a fear of throwing up for anyone who doesn't know) and in september I'll be moving out for uni, and I'm panicking a lot about moving out in case I get ill. I'm not necessarily worried about my accommodation - I'm gonna be living in a studio with my own bathroom and kitchen, so I can keep it as clean as I want and I can prepare food how I like. What I'm really worried about is eating out. I hardly ever eat out at restaurants coz I'm terrified I'll pick up a bug and make myself ill, but I know that when I go to uni people will want to go out for meals and coffee and stuff, and I really don't wanna be left out of that. I really want to try and eat out a bit more while I'm at uni - but I really REALLY don't wanna end up making myself ill.

Sooo, I was wondering if there are any other emetophobes around who have found a way to eat out and yet avoid being ill? Or more like, have found a way to eat out more without the anticipation and anxiety around potentially being ill being unbearable? (coz I'm not stupid, I know that in theory most foods won't make you ill, but it's the panic in case I do that is crippling).

Are there any foods that are almost 100% safe to eat outside without making you ill? Are there any food chains you trust unwaveringly? How do you navigate friends' expectations if they invite you out to eat but you really don't want to go out that particular time? Basically any advice about eating out as an emetophobe would be hugely appreciated! :smile: Sorry for the rambling, lol!
Hi there! I hope my answer will be comforting to you. I also struggle with emetophobia, and I actually moved to the UK from a different country, so I was doubly afraid because I didn't know what food was safe and what wasn't. I did some research beforehand - I looked at what restaurants and food shops had good reviews and safe food practices (if someone got sick there, you can almost guarantee they reviewed about it). For the first few weeks, I would eat almost strictly salads, fruits, and vegetables when going out because I was afraid to venture, but it ended up just find. I also figured out what foods were almost always going to be safe - going out for coffee for example cannot really mess you up, it's usually meats and seafoods that do that. I will be honest and say that I never ate seafood while abroad for this very fear, and in terms of meats, I avoided chicken for the most part unless I cooked it myself. Beef is usually safe because even when slightly raw, it's safe to eat. I also encouraged my flatmates to try places that I knew would be safe - pizza for example really shouldn't hurt you (unless you eat too much or have a dairy issue), most pasta and breads are safe. Not sure if you're a drinker, but just be warned as well that in the first year, many people will drink loads and make themselves sick because of their newfound freedom, so be wary about your times out. I don't drink so this was never a concern of my own. Finally, I did what I probably should have done a long time ago lol, and got on anxiety meds and talked to a therapist. I know these aren't necessarily easy to access, but it helped tremendously in not worrying about being sick constantly, because trust me I know how debilitating it is! Not to mention, at least for me, the anxiety made me feel more nauseous than the food probably would have - having anxiety meds and grounding methods actually solved my random bouts of nausea almost completely.

I know this is anxiety inducing, but know that you aren't alone! Be honest with your new friends about this fear if you're comfortable telling them, and if they're good friends then they will support you by doing activities that don't involve eating, or helping you find safe food places to go out and eat at. I wish you well in your new year and feel free to reach out with any more concerns!
Reply 2
Thank you so so much for this reply, it's really helped calm me down! It's so nice to hear from someone who finally understands, I'm so used to being made to feel like a complete weirdo and like I'm just being difficult, so thank you so much for making me feel less alone! :hugs:I'll probably keep referring back to this post over the year lol! I also avoid seafood, chicken and alcohol, they're probably top 3 on my list of things that I will never eat/drink out. And yeah, that's good advice about seeing a therapist as well, I know I probably should but I keep chickening out coz in general I don't really like talking about my phobia, it just makes me more anxious, and exposure therapy and stuff just sounds terrifying! But I know it would probably be helpful in the long run, it's definitely something I'll look into more

Once again thank you so much, that meant so much to me! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya, hoping someone can help a gal out over here. I have emetophobia (which is a fear of throwing up for anyone who doesn't know) and in september I'll be moving out for uni, and I'm panicking a lot about moving out in case I get ill. I'm not necessarily worried about my accommodation - I'm gonna be living in a studio with my own bathroom and kitchen, so I can keep it as clean as I want and I can prepare food how I like. What I'm really worried about is eating out. I hardly ever eat out at restaurants coz I'm terrified I'll pick up a bug and make myself ill, but I know that when I go to uni people will want to go out for meals and coffee and stuff, and I really don't wanna be left out of that. I really want to try and eat out a bit more while I'm at uni - but I really REALLY don't wanna end up making myself ill.

Sooo, I was wondering if there are any other emetophobes around who have found a way to eat out and yet avoid being ill? Or more like, have found a way to eat out more without the anticipation and anxiety around potentially being ill being unbearable? (coz I'm not stupid, I know that in theory most foods won't make you ill, but it's the panic in case I do that is crippling).

Are there any foods that are almost 100% safe to eat outside without making you ill? Are there any food chains you trust unwaveringly? How do you navigate friends' expectations if they invite you out to eat but you really don't want to go out that particular time? Basically any advice about eating out as an emetophobe would be hugely appreciated! :smile: Sorry for the rambling, lol!
Hey im also emetophobic. Although I'm not a Uni student I also struggle with how you're feeling. I cant eat without feeling sick to my stomach. But if I am going out to eat what I do is: I order something from the menu that has very good reviews and maybe try to eat at a well kept place where the grade for cleanliness is at least a 85-100. That helps and if you dont want to eat at a restaurant but your friends want to go you could possibly go without eating there but bring a snack or maybe just order a small appetizer. Sorry if this isn't helpful in the slightest.
Reply 4
Original post by BabygirlFaye
Hey im also emetophobic. Although I'm not a Uni student I also struggle with how you're feeling. I cant eat without feeling sick to my stomach. But if I am going out to eat what I do is: I order something from the menu that has very good reviews and maybe try to eat at a well kept place where the grade for cleanliness is at least a 85-100. That helps and if you dont want to eat at a restaurant but your friends want to go you could possibly go without eating there but bring a snack or maybe just order a small appetizer. Sorry if this isn't helpful in the slightest.

Hiya, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate the advice! And it's so nice to hear from someone else that gets it. That's a really good idea about checking places before I eat there, I always make sure I do that if ever I eat out now. And yeah that's a good idea about just bringing a snack or something too. It's been ok so far, luckily my friends have all been super understanding and I've been trying to really gently push myself out of my comfort zone a bit more and try some new things. I'm certainly a lot stronger than I thought I was! (tho I don't think I would be anymore if I was s* lmao so I'm still being careful) Hope you're doing ok, I know this phobia is horrible but we've got this! x
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate the advice! And it's so nice to hear from someone else that gets it. That's a really good idea about checking places before I eat there, I always make sure I do that if ever I eat out now. And yeah that's a good idea about just bringing a snack or something too. It's been ok so far, luckily my friends have all been super understanding and I've been trying to really gently push myself out of my comfort zone a bit more and try some new things. I'm certainly a lot stronger than I thought I was! (tho I don't think I would be anymore if I was s* lmao so I'm still being careful) Hope you're doing ok, I know this phobia is horrible but we've got this! x
That's great! I'm really happy I could help ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest