The Student Room Group

Does anyone experience this while trying to study?

Idk if anyone else experiences this when im learning such as studying, doing work or even reading sheet music and playing piano i start to think about people or past events that annoy me. Like ill just get angry or embarrased. I really dont know whats going on with me is this a big mental problem im experiencing?
Its really hard to concentrate as i just get bad flashbacks of things people say or do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Idk if anyone else experiences this when im learning such as studying, doing work or even reading sheet music and playing piano i start to think about people or past events that annoy me. Like ill just get angry or embarrased. I really dont know whats going on with me is this a big mental problem im experiencing?
Its really hard to concentrate as i just get bad flashbacks of things people say or do.

Yea I'd say to probably go and speak to ur gp about that to possibly be referred to someone who can help - that sounds like uve got quite a lot of underlying things that u havent addressed properly. I know that if anything when im practicing violin or piano is when im most free from thoughts like that
Hi!
I wanted to say first of all that it's normal to feel like this, especially if you're under pressure from work or school, and you're trying to focus on work but your head just isn't focusing, and is instead being distracted by flashbacks to past experiences. I totally get you; and from the sounds of things, you might need to take a break and do something which relaxes you. These are a couple of things that I do in my spare time, but they aren't for everybody and I am not qualified to give you professional advice, I am just talking human to human about past experiences and trying to help you in the best way I can.
1) There's an Apple app called 'Balance' (this isn't a sponsored post I swear!) which is free for the first year, which I highly recommend. It does have meditation, but it isn't just that; there's also little 'singles' for different moods or parts of your day, ie waking up or trying to focus on work, and I think it would help you to process those negative thoughts and focus on your work, or anything else that might need your attention.
2) Exercise. I go to the gym whenever I am feeling tangled up in thoughts, one because the routine of having a workout plan and being able to hit fitness goals is satisfying, but it also makes me feel like I have something to do, like a duty, which puts my negative thoughts to the side. Exercise also releases endorphins to your brain, which does improve your mood. It can be anything from a walk around the block, going to an actual gym, or doing some yoga. All of which have worked for me in the past.
3) You play piano - I do too! And I find, similarly to exercise, when you do this it locks you away into a different mindset and you can focus better - maybe try making your own music instead of following sheet music, as this way you are totally in your own element and you aren't stressing yourself out over the right notes..

I hope this helps you! Let me know if you need anything else. Keep well and stay safe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest