The Student Room Group

Should I be worried?

For over a year, I've been going through depressive symptoms and I'm always stressed.

On the surface, I look fine, but one small thing is enough for me to have a mental breakdown and I have no one to talk to.

My parents would never understand, they don't believe in mental illness and I can't talk to the school because they will just call home.

It's starting to affect my sleep and I've cut down on my eating and I'll have to wait until I'm 18 to be able to do something, because I don't have the power to help myself.

I'm just studying constantly to distract myself when inside I just feel numb, whenever I think I'm happy when I meet friends or do something fun, when it's over, I go back to being depressed. I don't know if this is something normal to feel or whether I should do something.
Original post by Anonymous
For over a year, I've been going through depressive symptoms and I'm always stressed.

On the surface, I look fine, but one small thing is enough for me to have a mental breakdown and I have no one to talk to.

My parents would never understand, they don't believe in mental illness and I can't talk to the school because they will just call home.

It's starting to affect my sleep and I've cut down on my eating and I'll have to wait until I'm 18 to be able to do something, because I don't have the power to help myself.

I'm just studying constantly to distract myself when inside I just feel numb, whenever I think I'm happy when I meet friends or do something fun, when it's over, I go back to being depressed. I don't know if this is something normal to feel or whether I should do something.

I would advise you to use online services, there are free ones like kooth and ur parents wouldnt know about ur issues then...and maybe u could find a movie or something that is about mental health awareness etc, like a parent who didnt believe in her child and then she realized the truth etc, but obvi make sure ur in the right headspace to see it, i am suggesting this as this may be a way for ur parents to achieve awareness and so be more supportive to u and if u have nay trusted friends talk to them about it too....my best advise to u would be to be kind to urself...this is real...maybe watch some online videos about coping videos and maybe talk on forums with other ppl who are suffering..u arent alone
Reply 2
I would advise you to use online services, there are free ones like kooth and ur parents wouldnt know about ur issues then...and maybe u could find a movie or something that is about mental health awareness etc, like a parent who didnt believe in her child and then she realized the truth etc, but obvi make sure ur in the right headspace to see it, i am suggesting this as this may be a way for ur parents to achieve awareness and so be more supportive to u and if u have nay trusted friends talk to them about it too....my best advise to u would be to be kind to urself...this is real...maybe watch some online videos about coping videos and maybe talk on forums with other ppl who are suffering..u arent alone

Ok, I'll try, thank you :smile:
Ok, I'll try, thank you :smile:

ur welcome---u can get through this. i have faith in u :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest