The Student Room Group

getting a job at 16 with social anxiety

im looking for work, but i have social anxiety and cant find anywhere that seems to make me feel comfortable. i have done girlguiding before, for about 9 years, and im okay with small social situations, like a small shop or something, but i cant find anything that is welcoming/friendly for my type of anxiety.

are there any stores that would work good for this? since i am desperately trying to put myself out there and get over anxiety.
Original post by misou
im looking for work, but i have social anxiety and cant find anywhere that seems to make me feel comfortable. i have done girlguiding before, for about 9 years, and im okay with small social situations, like a small shop or something, but i cant find anything that is welcoming/friendly for my type of anxiety.

are there any stores that would work good for this? since i am desperately trying to put myself out there and get over anxiety.

At 16, I think your options are going to be limited. Most employers want people over the age of 18.

I would have thought something like a small corner shop would be ideal, as it's going to be (largely) the same faces who keep coming in so you get to know the regulars. Same if you worked somewhere like a fast food shop (e.g. fish and chips shop). In either case, as you get to know the locals, it's bound to help with your social anxiety.

Also, at 16 I believe you can work in a bar as a glass collector... although I'm not sure that's a good environment for a socially awkward person (unless you don't mind being thrown in at the deep end).

Quick Reply

Latest