The Student Room Group

seriously terrible memory

I'm 15 years old and I have no joke, the memory of a goldfish.

For example, I'll forget what I'm actually arguing when arguing with someone, if I accuse them of something which I vaguely have memory of them doing, they will ask me for an example and then I go blank as I just don't remember, but I know it happened. I'll also forget things I've said and end up skewing my own words or theirs unintentionally.

This means I forget a lot of things we learn at school. I take triple science and am on the lower end of the grade spectrum, as everyone just does better then me as I don't remember anything, even if I revise.

It's worrying me as I'm entering year 11 and am aiming for high grades in the sciences, but I'm barely scraping 4-6's. I just cannot remember barely any definitions, practicals or formulas.

My mum and sister keep saying that I'm so young and have terrible memory, they are right but I just don't know why I do. It affects me everyday and my family often call me dumb or stupid because of it, I just cannot reach my true potential because of how bad it is.

Does anyone know anything I can do/ can anyone relate? This problem of mine has made me feel very futile around absolutely everyone
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 15 years old and I have no joke, the memory of a goldfish.

For example, I'll forget what I'm actually arguing when arguing with someone, if I accuse them of something which I vaguely have memory of them doing, they will ask me for an example and then I go blank as I just don't remember, but I know it happened. I'll also forget things I've said and end up skewing my own words or theirs unintentionally.

This means I forget a lot of things we learn at school. I take triple science and am on the lower end of the grade spectrum, as everyone just does better then me as I don't remember anything, even if I revise.

It's worrying me as I'm entering year 11 and am aiming for high grades in the sciences, but I'm barely scraping 4-6's. I just cannot remember barely any definitions, practicals or formulas.

My mum and sister keep saying that I'm so young and have terrible memory, they are right but I just don't know why I do. It affects me everyday and my family often call me dumb or stupid because of it, I just cannot reach my true potential because of how bad it is.

Does anyone know anything I can do/ can anyone relate? This problem of mine has made me feel very futile around absolutely everyone

Firstly, you're not dumb or stupid for being forgetful; that's ignorant as well as rude and insensitive,

Fogetfulness can be due to a psychological issue (e.g. stress, something on your mind, etc.) or a medical issue.

Your ability to articulate yourself seems fine for your age and a lot better than some people I have come across. So I very much doubt it has to do with your intelligence that much.

I would see a doctor to double check on this. In fact, I would do this as soon as possible.

If it's due to a lack of appropriate strategies for memorising things or ways of controlling your emotions, then I could recommend some. However, I don't think this is particularly the case.

Quick Reply

Latest