The Student Room Group

Pharmacology Vs Biochemistry

I know this type of question has been asked really often, but I just wanted some opinions. I do biology, chemistry and psychology, and my predicted are BBA, respectively. In September, my psychology will go up to an A*, and my biology will go up to an A* too. However, I’ve been debating heavily for the past few months what course I should apply to at uni. I have strong extracurriculars related to both, as they’re pretty similar courses. I’d appreciate any help you guys could give me :smile:
edit: as an adult, I’m just looking for good career progression, and good pay later in the career too, not too bothered about starting salary tho!
(edited 8 months ago)
Career prospects probably similar between them.

Probably the main difference is that biochemistry tends to focus more on fundamental molecular biosciences underpinning all other areas of bioscience, whereas pharmacology is more specific and focused in a particular area. So it's really what is more interesting to you in general. Remember that a biochemistry degree in the UK is not a degree in "biological chemistry" but a degree in biochemistry i.e. molecular/developmental/cell biology areas. You might actually end up doing more chemistry in a pharmacology degree depending on the course!

Something to consider also is that studies have shown career prospects are actually similar between STEM and non-STEM graduates in the long run. So I really can't emphasise how much your degree subject is not a major factor in that.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Career prospects probably similar between them.

Probably the main difference is that biochemistry tends to focus more on fundamental molecular biosciences underpinning all other areas of bioscience, whereas pharmacology is more specific and focused in a particular area. So it's really what is more interesting to you in general. Remember that a biochemistry degree in the UK is not a degree in "biological chemistry" but a degree in biochemistry i.e. molecular/developmental/cell biology areas. You might actually end up doing more chemistry in a pharmacology degree depending on the course!

Something to consider also is that studies have shown career prospects are actually similar between STEM and non-STEM graduates in the long run. So I really can't emphasise how much your degree subject is not a major factor in that.

Thanks for the reply, sorry I took so long to in the first place. I’ve been doing a lot of research because I’m getting kinda stressed about this decision now. I know I have time, but I really don’t have a strong attachment to either subject. I’ve done some background reading on both, and also looked at some uni textbooks to help me decide, but I still haven’t come to a decision, and I really don’t feel like I’m going to.

I feel like both have a lot of bulk memorisation, which I’m fine with, but I feel like biochemistry has slightly more interesting content. The thing is, I don’t want to pick my course at university, which will dictate the rest of my career, based on my “feeling” that it’s a bit more interesting. I’d really appreciate any other guidance😭
Original post by SaurianTuba
Thanks for the reply, sorry I took so long to in the first place. I’ve been doing a lot of research because I’m getting kinda stressed about this decision now. I know I have time, but I really don’t have a strong attachment to either subject. I’ve done some background reading on both, and also looked at some uni textbooks to help me decide, but I still haven’t come to a decision, and I really don’t feel like I’m going to.

I feel like both have a lot of bulk memorisation, which I’m fine with, but I feel like biochemistry has slightly more interesting content. The thing is, I don’t want to pick my course at university, which will dictate the rest of my career, based on my “feeling” that it’s a bit more interesting. I’d really appreciate any other guidance😭

Your choice of degree at university will not dictate the rest of your career. Most graduates go into fields unrelated to their degree, and most employers for generalist grad schemes don't care what you studied at degree level. Also the long term outcomes of even such disparate areas as STEM vs non-STEM fields are essentially equivalent: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

So I can't imagine two very similar degrees already are going to be even significantly different in the short to medium term, much less the long term.
Original post by SaurianTuba

Hi @SaurianTuba

I'm a biochemist at Lancaster. If I was in your situation I would stop focussing in on the overall name of the degree and start looking at which modules different universities offer and what appeals to you more. Maybe pick a few universities you are considering applying to and go through the course structure to see the difference in the courses. I cant say I know too much about the differences between the degrees, as I never looked into pharmacology. However, in terms of future careers, with my biochemistry degree I've secured a placement at a drug development biotech company that I'm starting at in a week - which I'm very excited about!

If I can help you with any questions about biochemistry, please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @SaurianTuba

I'm a biochemist at Lancaster. If I was in your situation I would stop focussing in on the overall name of the degree and start looking at which modules different universities offer and what appeals to you more. Maybe pick a few universities you are considering applying to and go through the course structure to see the difference in the courses. I cant say I know too much about the differences between the degrees, as I never looked into pharmacology. However, in terms of future careers, with my biochemistry degree I've secured a placement at a drug development biotech company that I'm starting at in a week - which I'm very excited about!

If I can help you with any questions about biochemistry, please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

I know I wasn’t the person you offered help with questions to but I’m also interested in biochemistry so I’d love it if you had some advice.
Are there any specific extracurriculares or work experience that would be good to do for a biochem degree?
What are the job prospects/salary like in the future?
Does the degree have a lot of maths?
Is it a very popular/oversaturated course?
And lastly:anything else you think someone considering applying to biochem should know/do?

Sorry for a load of questions being fired at you but I’d be so grateful for some help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending