The Student Room Group

Pharmacology, biochemistry or biomedical students help!

Hey guys,

since I'm in my last year of secondary school and will be choosing my options for sixth form soon, I need some help on narrowing down my options.

Did you guys have some list that you went through to find the best universities for your particular course? Because my ideas are a bit broad, the amount of universities to look at are quite broad as well. Also, I just don't know where to look nor how to prioritise them; I'm just lost lol.

Also, before anyone ask, the reason why I'm looking so early on is because the options I want to do for a level are broad as well, so I want to know what are the essential a levels I need to do my courses!
Original post by bblondon
Hey guys,

since I'm in my last year of secondary school and will be choosing my options for sixth form soon, I need some help on narrowing down my options.

Did you guys have some list that you went through to find the best universities for your particular course? Because my ideas are a bit broad, the amount of universities to look at are quite broad as well. Also, I just don't know where to look nor how to prioritise them; I'm just lost lol.

Also, before anyone ask, the reason why I'm looking so early on is because the options I want to do for a level are broad as well, so I want to know what are the essential a levels I need to do my courses!

I can only answer your last question, since I haven't done a life science degree.

The key A Levels for the subjects that you have listed in your thread are Biology and Chemistry. The last A Level can be anything you want.
Personal recommendation: psychology because it tends to go well with biology. Having said that, this could be anything from English to Philosophy.
Original post by bblondon
Hey guys,

Hey @bblondon

When I was applying for biochemistry courses, most I looked at only had chemistry as a required A-level and that you studied at least one/two other science subjects as well. I am less sure about applying for biomedicine/biomedical science related degrees, as I don't have experience of applying for those but Lancaster does require a biology A level for both of those courses.

From my experience studying biochemistry, I'd definitely recommend both biology and chemistry, and then a third subject of your choice - I took maths! Once you have an idea of some universities you are interest in applying to, double check to see how many "science/maths" related subjects they require, which might help you decide on your third choice.

I honestly just started looking at universities! I started with some I knew of, then checked league tables and subject tables (I don't really believe in university rankings though because there's so many factors and its kind of all made up - I just used it as an easy list of university names to look into that I might not have considered).

When I looked at each university I initially looked at the degree and the modules each university listed, and narrowed my choices as some courses just sounded less appealing to me in terms of the non-optional modules I had to take. Other things I considered were careers support and internships/placement years (Lancaster has been great for this - I've had so much support and so many opportunities). I then looked at city vs campus (I'm a campus fan), accommodation, where I'd be living in 2nd year if I left university accommodation, things like the library, gym, atmosphere etc. It's really personal to everyone and each person will have things that are more important to them, and you wont know until you see something and you think "oh that's so cool", or maybe "ew, not for me"!

I hope I could help, if you have any other questions about studying a bioscience or applying for universities please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending