The Student Room Group

University Attandance

Hi,

Do colleges care about attendance?
(edited 8 months ago)
Depends on how/if it’s monitored and the policy of the specific uni. Worse case, they chuck you out.

I suppose the question is why are you planning for low attendance before even enrolling?
Reply 2
I prefer to study on my own using the learning resources provided by the university.

Original post by Admit-One
Depends on how/if it’s monitored and the policy of the specific uni. Worse case, they chuck you out.

I suppose the question is why are you planning for low attendance before even enrolling?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TKKt
I am not planning for low attendance. I prefer to study on my own using the learning resources provided by the university. I'm not very good at communication and English is not my first language, I'm a bit afraid of having a communication barrier and I'm trying to get over it.

Maybe you would benefit from a gap year.You could get a job and improve your English.Seems a shame not to be able to participate in all uni has to offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Maybe you would benefit from a gap year.You could get a job and improve your English.Seems a shame not to be able to participate in all uni has to offer.

Thanks for your suggestion
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TKKt
I prefer to study on my own using the learning resources provided by the university.

Overall, I think this sounds like a bad strategy. You will be dependent on the quality of materials that are made available - trust me when I say there will be considerable variablity. Post-covid, lecture recordings may not always be done, eg Powerpoints may be uploaded and reading set but you'll miss out on the input from the live lecture. My suggestion would be to at least attend the opening lecture for each module to get a feel of the lecturing style. And what about seminars, where you will attend in small groups and your absence would be more obvious? At some universities, attendance is monitored and support staff chase up students who don't attend.
Original post by cheadle
Overall, I think this sounds like a bad strategy. You will be dependent on the quality of materials that are made available - trust me when I say there will be considerable variablity. Post-covid, lecture recordings may not always be done, eg Powerpoints may be uploaded and reading set but you'll miss out on the input from the live lecture. My suggestion would be to at least attend the opening lecture for each module to get a feel of the lecturing style. And what about seminars, where you will attend in small groups and your absence would be more obvious? At some universities, attendance is monitored and support staff chase up students who don't attend.

Or there are online universities e.g OU. I don't see the point in attending a red brick university if you already know beforehand that you're not going to attend any lectures and would rather do everything Independently and online.
Reply 7
I read your comments and your grasp of the English language is nice. Your uni would not have given you an offer if they thought you wouldn't be able to communicate properly. You're doing great.

Also, if you want to improve, missing classes won't help you . It'll have the opposite effect. You need to be in an immersive environment where everything depends on the language. Going to classes and interacting with other English speakers will teach you new things, and push you to improve. Staying alone will not. Rather, your grasp of the language will deteriorate.
Reply 8
Every bit of serious pedagogical research in the past 40 years attests that the best student learning is done in a room with other people under expert guidance - it's about testing ideas and real-time feedback and adaptability. I'm sorry, but it borders on stupid to plan to avoid this aspect of higher education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending