The Student Room Group

Experiences with SSRIs

My gp has recently recommended that I try an SSRI antidepressant to help with my anxiety and I am in the process of researching them. I know someone who tried them and had an awful experience. I was wondering if anyone has had a positive experience with them?
Hi! I have a pretty positive experience with SSRIs. I had two courses of two different medications. The first one was helpful, but it affected my weight a lot. However, after I had finished the course I lost almost all the weight gained. Right now I’m on my second course of another SSRI. It’s been a month since I started and it’s going pretty well. I did have some uncomfortable side effects, but they took only a week or so and now I am just a calm person with a positive attitude towards life.
Reply 2
The withdrawal is (factually and empirically based statement) pretty horrendous, you may want to factor this in. It does for some though help, just be informed of all sides before starting.
Original post by Noodlzzz
The withdrawal is (factually and empirically based statement) pretty horrendous, you may want to factor this in. It does for some though help, just be informed of all sides before starting.

That’s usually because a lot of people make mistakes with their withdrawal and just drop their medicine. If you slowly lower the dosage until it’s very low, it usually goes fine.
Reply 4
Many people have positive experiences with them. Trying them out yourself is the only way to find out how they are for you.
(edited 8 months ago)
To put it bluntly, everyone will have a different experience. A medication may work for one person but not for another, side effects and withdrawal symptoms also vary from person to person. I've been prescribed both fluoxetine and sertraline and though both were effective for me, each made me feel different. You'll only know by trying yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
My gp has recently recommended that I try an SSRI antidepressant to help with my anxiety and I am in the process of researching them. I know someone who tried them and had an awful experience. I was wondering if anyone has had a positive experience with them?

Fine for me once we worked out the type and dosage that works for me. Had some unpleasant side effects with sleep disturbance and indigestion on some, but have worked around that now with the current type/dosage I take (and as long as I take it in the morning). Helps a lot with day to day existence really.

As above though it's quite variable for individuals. The withdrawal like effects if you stop it suddenly are very not nice, so if you do decide you want to stop taking it you should organise with your GP, as they will arrange for you to taper your dose off to avoid that :smile:
Reply 7
Hi! i've been taking ssris for a few months now! I've had a relatively positive experience with them. They tend to make me less anxious, resulting in having just that little bit of extra energy to do the things I want to do throughout the day. However, they aren't a cure all. Most mental illness come from a mixture of chemical imbalances and trauma, it can help with the physical issues resulting in your symptoms but not that root of it all if that makes sense. I didn't really get any side effects luckily but I find if I don't take them with a meal I feel pretty sick. I also find that my dosage needs to be upped a lot as I seem to become tolerant to the drug after a couple of weeks, which results in my mood and functioning going back down. Do note that I take ssris due to clinical depression not anxiety so take what I say with a pinch of salt as you are not using them for the same issue. While I have found it helps a lot with my day to day general anxieties things like panic attacks have not been helped by them, as they've stayed relatively the same in frequency and severity. I hope this helps I wish you all the best :3

Quick Reply

Latest