The Student Room Group

I feel like ill never be happy

recently I’ve been looking back on my past and I dont think ill truly ever be happy. I never have been. its been worsened by my awful results day. does anyone feel the same?
Reply 1
Original post by asb2003
recently I’ve been looking back on my past and I dont think ill truly ever be happy. I never have been. its been worsened by my awful results day. does anyone feel the same?

you aren't alone, even the people who did well will feel the same way to an extent. Everyone spends their entire life in pursuit of happiness or satisfaction but things usually don't balance out for us to feel completely happy. With that being said, it's hard to look back at the past and recall when you were happy since being happy isn't usually a major or rememberable event in our lives, our happy moments are often small and fleeting which means you probably have been happy in the past but it's natural that you can't pinpoint/mark the occasion. Therefore, look towards a future full of minor happy moments and aim to appreciate it so that one day you can add all of them up to form one big happy life when you next look back into the past.:h:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by asb2003

Hi,

Hope you are okay.

In all honesty, nothing is tangible. The past is the past for a reason alike the future. Trials are sent to test us all.
Now you are in the present. With this you should take control of the opportunities you have.
Every day is a new day.

Right now it may not seem like ' Every day is a new day' as your probably still disheartened by your results day (sending virtual hugs) but life moves on so quickly that feeling sad about the past is futile.
Always think about the positives as you may have negative connotations/ emotions from the past that make you think you will never be happy. But the way to move on is to learn from the past, not make same mistakes and move on. Close Chapter.

Happiness lies from within. What makes you happy may not makes others. e.g. Receiving an A / Grade 9 / 1st.
Many would be pleased with this grade, but yourself - only you know the answer.
You cannot change these grades ( unless you resit) but to move on and be happy is to take control of the situation you are now in e.g for GCSE/ A- Level/ Uni.
Make changes to get to where you aim to be career wise and use resources to help e.g Printer, Library, Books, Tutoring, Mentor. etc

Where do you see yourself in e.g. 5 years time? Create a career progression plan.
Your happiness is only what you deem it to be !

Best Wishes,
Reply 3
Original post by Js.05
you aren't alone, even the people who did well will feel the same way to an extent. Everyone spends their entire life in pursuit of happiness or satisfaction but things usually don't balance out for us to feel completely happy. With that being said, it's hard to look back at the past and recall when you were happy since being happy isn't usually a major or rememberable event in our lives, our happy moments are often small and fleeting which means you probably have been happy in the past but it's natural that you can't pinpoint/mark the occasion. Therefore, look towards a future full of minor happy moments and aim to appreciate it so that one day you can add all of them up to form one big happy life when you next look back into the past.:h:

I’ve never really looked at happiness in this perspective, that has actually made me feel a lot better. I’m trying to be positive but I am constantly reminded of my (not to be so bloody miserable) many failures therefore I often question my own abilities. But going forwards I will try to appreciate the happier moments in my life more :smile:
Original post by Js.05

that's really beautiful.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous_198
Hi,

Hope you are okay.

In all honesty, nothing is tangible. The past is the past for a reason alike the future. Trials are sent to test us all.
Now you are in the present. With this you should take control of the opportunities you have.
Every day is a new day.

Right now it may not seem like ' Every day is a new day' as your probably still disheartened by your results day (sending virtual hugs) but life moves on so quickly that feeling sad about the past is futile.
Always think about the positives as you may have negative connotations/ emotions from the past that make you think you will never be happy. But the way to move on is to learn from the past, not make same mistakes and move on. Close Chapter.

Happiness lies from within. What makes you happy may not makes others. e.g. Receiving an A / Grade 9 / 1st.
Many would be pleased with this grade, but yourself - only you know the answer.
You cannot change these grades ( unless you resit) but to move on and be happy is to take control of the situation you are now in e.g for GCSE/ A- Level/ Uni.
Make changes to get to where you aim to be career wise and use resources to help e.g Printer, Library, Books, Tutoring, Mentor. etc

Where do you see yourself in e.g. 5 years time? Create a career progression plan.
Your happiness is only what you deem it to be !

Best Wishes,

It's been a lot to process and I’m not the best with handling failures but your'e 100% right, I do need to take control because I can’t edit the past I suppose. I have been doing some pre reading and looking up different psychological approaches to further understanding to my subject so I’m trying to not **** up this time lol. thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by asb2003
I’ve never really looked at happiness in this perspective, that has actually made me feel a lot better. I’m trying to be positive but I am constantly reminded of my (not to be so bloody miserable) many failures therefore I often question my own abilities. But going forwards I will try to appreciate the happier moments in my life more :smile:

When we are feeling low, we tend to view the world through a very negative filter, which makes bad things easier to see, and good things more difficult to see. A good place to start might be monitoring what you are doing everyday and rating your mood (e.g., 0-10) during each of these activities (even things like watching TV, reading, doing school work, talking to a friend on the phone etc.). See if there are certain things you do that boost your mood even a little, and try to incorporate more of those things into your daily life.

Quick Reply

Latest