The Student Room Group

Life in Bulgaria

Thinking of studying in Bulgaria. What is like in Bulgaria?
Hi! I will be going to 4th year of plovdiv medical university in September. I can give you a quick snapshot! It is quite a culture shock at first, but you adjust very quickly. Many of your course mates are in the same situation as you and so you don’t need to worry about feeling left out or anything! Unless you are a very difficult personality, you will get on quite well with everyone :smile:.

Food is much cheaper than the uk, rent is too, but they are raising prices! Try not to pay more than 400euros for rent if you go to plovdiv. Kavala is where you will find most first years.

If you need a helping hand, don’t be afraid to ask any students around you, they will certainly do what they can!
Reply 2
Original post by BulgarianDentist
Hi! I will be going to 4th year of plovdiv medical university in September. I can give you a quick snapshot! It is quite a culture shock at first, but you adjust very quickly. Many of your course mates are in the same situation as you and so you don’t need to worry about feeling left out or anything! Unless you are a very difficult personality, you will get on quite well with everyone :smile:.

Food is much cheaper than the uk, rent is too, but they are raising prices! Try not to pay more than 400euros for rent if you go to plovdiv. Kavala is where you will find most first years.

If you need a helping hand, don’t be afraid to ask any students around you, they will certainly do what they can!

Is the quality of education good in Plovdiv also how do you fund the degree over there?
Original post by xeelaq
Is the quality of education good in Plovdiv also how do you fund the degree over there?

I would say some departments are better than others. There is a lot of independent reading. In some classes you are expected to read the topic before coming to class where you will fill your gaps of knowledge with the teachers. You will have to fund yourself as there is no finances for uk students. Other European countries provide student finance but the uk doesn’t I’m afraid.
Reply 4
Can I ask how many hours of study do you do in a day?
Original post by xeelaq
Can I ask how many hours of study do you do in a day?

As the years progress, it increases, but for first year I would say maybe 2 hours a day. It depends on how much of a high achiever you want to be.

It’s never more than you can handle.
Original post by BulgarianDentist

I am paying 500 euros for an apartment in Plovdiv, do you think I should move out maybe in second year as I've already paid the deposit. Lots of the apartments were really expensive like 600 euros so the real estate agent had to find one for us at 500.

Also, do you of any supermarkets close to the university that would have like essentials? I've looked at Markovo Tepe mall since that's close to my apartment like 15 mins but I only see BILLA. I would like to cook homemade meals rather than eat out to save money and because I haven't tried any Bulgaria delicacies before.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending