The Student Room Group

ucat has given me depression

after consistently prctising the highest i can get in a mock is 2300
i feel so disappointed esepcially on tsr i see people complaining about 2800
Reply 1
bump
fellow medic here, my biggest advice is to get off tsr. these people are the top candidates who feel the need to show off most of the time. i guarantee that you will improve over time but that progress will never feel like enough if you are constantly comparing yourself to people that are on here. in my experience, i got 2400 the day before my ucat and ended up getting 3000+ on the actual day- it's all the luck of the draw. prioritise your mental health in this application cycle- it's your most important asset.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
fellow medic here, my biggest advice is to get off tsr. these people are the top candidates who feel the need to show off most of the time. i guarantee that you will improve over time but that progress will never feel like enough if you are constantly comparing yourself to people that are on here. in my experience, i got 2400 the day before my ucat and ended up getting 3000+ on the actual day- it's all the luck of the draw. prioritise your mental health in this application cycle- it's your most important asset.

thank you i have my ucat tomorrow but the highest ive ever achieved is 2490 :frown:
thank you i have my ucat tomorrow but the highest ive ever achieved is 2490 :frown:

maybe i could offer some last minute help? what sections are you struggling with most?
Reply 5
maybe i could offer some last minute help? what sections are you struggling with most?

mostly vr drags my score down but i also really struggle with QR timing
VR : 580
DM : 650
QR : 630
AR : 630

Some general tips would be to absolutely master your timetables so that you don't even need to think about it. Also, be able to do slightly more complex addition/subtraction/division without a paper so you are keeping the amount you write down to a minimum.

You also want to get the technique in early, so if you haven't already- switch to a mouse and keyboard. Get used to using keyboard shortcuts and the on screen calculator so with time they become second nature.

Remember, you're not actually expected to go through every single question and answer them. So what I would suggest to do is in QR theres usually a couple of questions related to one scenario. Skim each question and see if the method to get the answer come straight away. If not- move on. Answer at least the first two questions of each scenario at least, then come back and answer the rest.

VR skip the questions where they ask for a summary as that requires you to read the whole thing. Focus on the shorter questions first. See how that helps and lmk.

how did it go?
Reply 8
how did it go?

2490 band 1 :frown:
2490 band 1 :frown:

well done for completing it first of all, it is a lot of stress as we know. and don't act like all is lost- there are plenty of med schools you can still apply to! the key is to apply strategically. do you mind sharing your stats so we can come up with something together? the band 1 puts you in a good place- congratulations on that!
Reply 10
well done for completing it first of all, it is a lot of stress as we know. and don't act like all is lost- there are plenty of med schools you can still apply to! the key is to apply strategically. do you mind sharing your stats so we can come up with something together? the band 1 puts you in a good place- congratulations on that!

im applying to dentistry so im probably going to take a gap year
gcses 777666665
predicted AAA

Quick Reply

Latest