The Student Room Group

Dream job or dream PhD... Help!?

Hey, so I'm a 22 year old with a masters in Space Engineering and an undergrad in Astrophysics (both first class/distinctions). I recently got what I would always have considered to be a dream job as a space engineer and I absolutely love the job. In fact, it's what I'd love to do for the rest of my life. There's just one issue... I've also always wanted to do a PhD in Astrophysics and since leaving university I've really missed the environment.

The problem is that (despite the similar topic) doing a PhD in astrophysics doesn't really advance my career in space engineering which is what I want to do long term and I'm worried that taking the 3-4 year break from engineering may actually damage my chance of reentering the field.

Any advice on this would be great!
Reply 1
Original post by lewco
Hey, so I'm a 22 year old with a masters in Space Engineering and an undergrad in Astrophysics (both first class/distinctions). I recently got what I would always have considered to be a dream job as a space engineer and I absolutely love the job. In fact, it's what I'd love to do for the rest of my life. There's just one issue... I've also always wanted to do a PhD in Astrophysics and since leaving university I've really missed the environment.

The problem is that (despite the similar topic) doing a PhD in astrophysics doesn't really advance my career in space engineering which is what I want to do long term and I'm worried that taking the 3-4 year break from engineering may actually damage my chance of reentering the field.

Congratulations on getting your dream job as a space engineer! It sounds like you are in a great position.

I understand your dilemma about whether to pursue a PhD in astrophysics. On the one hand, it is something that you have always wanted to do. On the other hand, you are worried that it will not advance your career in space engineering and that it may damage your chance of reentering the field after taking a 3-4 year break.

Here are some things to consider:

Talk to your manager: Talk to your manager about your interest in pursuing a PhD in astrophysics. They may be able to give you some insights into how it might impact your career in space engineering. They may also be able to offer you support or flexibility if you do decide to pursue a PhD.
Consider a part-time PhD: Some universities offer part-time PhD programs. This would allow you to continue working in space engineering while pursuing your PhD. However, it is important to note that part-time PhD programs can take longer to complete than full-time programs.
Consider a PhD program that is relevant to space engineering: There are some PhD programs in astrophysics that are relevant to space engineering. For example, you could pursue a PhD in astrophysics with a focus on space instrumentation or astrodynamics. This would allow you to gain the skills and knowledge that you need to advance your career in space engineering.
Ultimately, the decision of whether to pursue a PhD in astrophysics is a personal one. There is no right or wrong answer. It is important to weigh all of the factors involved and make the decision that is best for you.

Here are some additional things to consider:

Your financial situation: Can you afford to pursue a PhD? PhD programs can be expensive, and it can take several years to complete one.
Your personal life: Do you have a partner or family? How will a PhD impact your personal life?
Your career goals: Do you want to advance to a senior management position? If so, a PhD may be required or recommended for some positions.
If you are still unsure of what to do, it may be helpful to talk to a trusted advisor, such as a parent, teacher, or mentor. They can help you to weigh the pros and cons of each option and make a decision that is right for you.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your decision!
Original post by lewco

Good jobs are much harder to get that PhDs. You can return and do a PhD at any time, so bearing in mind the comprehensive approach described above, I'd stick with the job for now and save the PhD option for when you need it, either to advance or change the job.
Original post by lewco

As threeportdrift says, securing a really good job is much more difficult than getting into education. You can return to do a PhD later, or you may even be able to do it part-time whilst working (though that would be extremely demanding!).
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Good jobs are much harder to get that PhDs. You can return and do a PhD at any time, so bearing in mind the comprehensive approach described above, I'd stick with the job for now and save the PhD option for when you need it, either to advance or change the job.

I get the point about the job being harder to get than a PhD. The two 'issues' I'm having with this idea is that firstly, the PhD wouldn't actually 'advance' my career or get me into another job that I really want. It would purely be out of passion and a love for the subject. Secondly, I completed my BSc in the topic that I'd like to do my PhD in around 2 years ago. I fear that the longer I leave it, the less likely I am to have retained some of the key info for me to do the interviews or get started with the PhD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending