The Student Room Group

Commuting

So I have decided to commute to University each day because I only live like half an hour or there abouts from University I am attending! Do you all think this is the right decision? I think it's a good decision myself because I would be able to get a bit of everything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So I have decided to commute to University each day because I only live like half an hour or there abouts from University I am attending! Do you all think this is the right decision? I think it's a good decision myself because I would be able to get a bit of everything.

Hi there!

I know loads of commuter students and they all have a great time! They enjoy being able to stay at home but still experience all of uni life, they just crash with someone after nights out! Some unis also run events in welcome week for commuter students so you can meet loads of new people. If you think it's a good decision it's probably the right one!!

Kat

Hey there!

Half an hours commute is definitely manageable and will save you a lot of money from living costs. I think its a good decision for you if you want to save money because travel costs will be considerably less. Things to think about in terms of travel is do you have a backup way to get into university? For example say you're coming in by train but there's rail strikes on that day, do you have an alternative way to get yourself into the city? Do you have a backup if there's weather problems and public transport isn't running or is heavily delayed? Other than that have you started reaching out to your coursemates to introduce yourself? Joining freshers or commuters groups is a great way to make friends before you go as it'll give you chance to build friendships in the city and then once your course starts you'll have people to do things with or people to sit with in your lectures.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 3
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!

Half an hours commute is definitely manageable and will save you a lot of money from living costs. I think its a good decision for you if you want to save money because travel costs will be considerably less. Things to think about in terms of travel is do you have a backup way to get into university? For example say you're coming in by train but there's rail strikes on that day, do you have an alternative way to get yourself into the city? Do you have a backup if there's weather problems and public transport isn't running or is heavily delayed? Other than that have you started reaching out to your coursemates to introduce yourself? Joining freshers or commuters groups is a great way to make friends before you go as it'll give you chance to build friendships in the city and then once your course starts you'll have people to do things with or people to sit with in your lectures.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi yes,

Thanks so much it does save a lot of money.
I can travel by train or car.

Hey!

I actually commute half an hour by car to uni and love it! You can still make friends during freshers events/on your course etc. but also have the freedom to separate your home life & uni life! I also like commuting because it means I can keep my job at home on the side of uni as well! But as others have said, it definitely saves a lot of money, just need to plan your journeys a bit more to make sure you get there on time :smile:

Best of luck with everything & if you have any questions about commuting definitely let me know!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

To me, you should live in halls and experience full uni life.

If you need to live at home because you are a carer for a parent or relative, that’s different. If not, please live in halls.

Hello,

I have commuted for each year that I have been at university and I found it alright and manageable. I didn't feel at all that I was missing out on the university experience. I still managed to engage in everything that I wanted to do, so I am thankful. 30 minutes is a reasonable commuting time so should be okay.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Original post by Wired_1800
To me, it is a foolish decision. You should live in halls and experience full uni life.

If you need to live at home because you are a carer for a parent or relative, that’s different. If not, please live in halls.

I appreciate this and thats totally your opinion. But as someone who live between 25-35 mins away from my university I am not going to live in halls when I can live at home and can happily drive there. You don't have to live in halls to "have the full uni life" that's a load of rubbish. Also if EVERYONE on the University campus lived at university there would not be enough rooms. As much as you have a point it's not foolish I'd you live down the road. The university I am going to accept all sorts of students, as most do and have welcomed me, when I have spoken on the phone to them about it, so I am excited to join. You don't have to live on campus to be a university student? What about mature students who have kids?
Reply 8
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

I actually commute half an hour by car to uni and love it! You can still make friends during freshers events/on your course etc. but also have the freedom to separate your home life & uni life! I also like commuting because it means I can keep my job at home on the side of uni as well! But as others have said, it definitely saves a lot of money, just need to plan your journeys a bit more to make sure you get there on time :smile:

Best of luck with everything & if you have any questions about commuting definitely let me know!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion. This is exactly why I wanted to say home! I want to get a bit of everything!

Thank you so much Natalie.
Reply 9
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there!

I know loads of commuter students and they all have a great time! They enjoy being able to stay at home but still experience all of uni life, they just crash with someone after nights out! Some unis also run events in welcome week for commuter students so you can meet loads of new people. If you think it's a good decision it's probably the right one!!

Kat

Hi Kat,

Thank you so much. I personally think it's the right decision for me given that I live not that far from the university.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
Reply 10
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

I have commuted for each year that I have been at university and I found it alright and manageable. I didn't feel at all that I was missing out on the university experience. I still managed to engage in everything that I wanted to do, so I am thankful. 30 minutes is a reasonable commuting time so should be okay.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi Juzer,

Thank you so much for this feedback. Yes I think it's reasonable. I just wanted to get a bit of everything 😀. I think it's a balance act that I will just have to do. Thanks so much for replying.
Well I’m commuting to university and I don’t think it’s foolish ? Not everyone wants to live in halls .. Although it will be tiring I think it’s worth it to be at home with my family!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by techwiz12345
Well I’m commuting to university and I don’t think it’s foolish ? Not everyone wants to live in halls .. Although it will be tiring I think it’s worth it to be at home with my family!

Hi,

This is very true. I live close enough to actually commute so I don't think it's wise me taking up accommodation for foreign students when I literally live down the road? I am so close with my family and I am so happy Universities have this option where you can choose to be a commuter or live in halls. Everyone is different- I think that's what makes everyone special in their own way.
I appreciate this and thats totally your opinion. But as someone who live between 25-35 mins away from my university I am not going to live in halls when I can live at home and can happily drive there. You don't have to live in halls to "have the full uni life" that's a load of rubbish. Also if EVERYONE on the University campus lived at university there would not be enough rooms. As much as you have a point it's not foolish I'd you live down the road. The university I am going to accept all sorts of students, as most do and have welcomed me, when I have spoken on the phone to them about it, so I am excited to join. You don't have to live on campus to be a university student? What about mature students who have kids?

Those are fair points.

my post was focused on a 18 or 19 year old who was going to be living away from home for the first time. I was not talking about ‘mature’ students with children because they are in a different group.

A full uni experience, imho, is being able to live, study and engage on a daily basis with people of your own age who would likely be experiencing things for the first time (just like you).

It is up to you to make your own decisions. You have the rest of your life to be an adult but only a few years to be a young student living among your peers with the memories.
Original post by techwiz12345

You will have the rest of your life to live at home with your family.
Reply 15
Those are fair points.

my post was focused on a 18 or 19 year old who was going to be living away from home for the first time. I was not talking about ‘mature’ students with children because they are in a different group.

A full uni experience, imho, is being able to live, study and engage on a daily basis with people of your own age who would likely be experiencing things for the first time (just like you).

It is up to you to make your own decisions. You have the rest of your life to be an adult but only a few years to be a young student living among your peers with the memories.

Hi, yes those are great points. You do have only a few to be a student. I live close enough to the University it's really not a point me paying to live away.

If I lives miles away I would consider it! Thanks though!
Hi, yes those are great points. You do have only a few to be a student. I live close enough to the University it's really not a point me paying to live away.

If I lives miles away I would consider it! Thanks though!

Good luck
Reply 17
To me, it is a foolish decision. You should live in halls and experience full uni life.

If they live close to university I don't see why they should pay living costs. Not everyone feels comfortable living with other people. If you do, good for you. Commuting is cheaper especially if you live 30-40 mins away- if you lived 4 hours away then that's a time you think about accommodation. University is extortionate and I feel like if you want to commute that's fine. Early mornings probably beat paying bills at rentals.

You can still have the university life that's a load of rubbish. If your at university you have the university life... End of! You don't need to live at University to go and study and enjoy it! University life is what YOU make of it it's nothing to do with living on campus
Original post by Bwilson4
If they live close to university I don't see why they should pay living costs. Not everyone feels comfortable living with other people. If you do, good for you. Commuting is cheaper especially if you live 30-40 mins away- if you lived 4 hours away then that's a time you think about accommodation. University is extortionate and I feel like if you want to commute that's fine. Early mornings probably beat paying bills at rentals.

You can still have the university life that's a load of rubbish. If your at university you have the university life... End of! You don't need to live at University to go and study and enjoy it! University life is what YOU make of it it's nothing to do with living on campus

I don't think the OP has chosen to live at home because they are uncomfortable with living with other people.

I disagree with the point of early mornings beat paying bills at rentals. Having to wake up early to attend a 9am would be worse imho than strolling to your lecture hall and reminiscing about the madness of the previous nights with your hall mates.

No offence, but it is not a load of rubbish. It is also not true that “if you are at university you have the university life”. That’s an incredibly poor point to make. There are loads of threads on this site of students complaining about how poor their uni experience is because they live at home with no friends.

Anyway, your opinion remains yours.
Hi yes,

Thanks so much it does save a lot of money.
I can travel by train or car.

HHave you checked where and how to park? Some unis don't allow cars and others require you to pay for a permit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending