The Student Room Group

1 hour commute

Hi,

So basically I am going Keele for Medicine this September as I have a unconditional offer and have firmed it. However, I live in Manchester, and I am torn between living in halls or commuting. Google maps says the commute is 52 minutes to an hour. Personally I feel as though i can do it and have seen many people commute the same/longer for college. Just want some thoughts about it.
Reply 1
Depends on whether your priority is to reduce student dept or to have a "uni experience"
Original post by black tea
Depends on whether your priority is to reduce student dept or to have a "uni experience"

Precisely this

Perhaps live in uni accommodation in the first year and then, if you don’t want to flat share second, consider commuting?
Reply 3
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Precisely this

Perhaps live in uni accommodation in the first year and then, if you don’t want to flat share second, consider commuting?

Honestly I don't really want the uni experience, doesn't look appealing and want to go just for education. Do you think an hour commute is bearable for such a demanding degree?
Reply 4
That’s right
Reply 5
Original post by black tea

Would you say it's probably more time consuming if I was to live independently? For example I would have to do my own shopping, cooking, washing etc however if I was to stay at home it will basically all be done therefore more time to study but longer commute time.
Original post by Exciting95135
Honestly I don't really want the uni experience, doesn't look appealing and want to go just for education. Do you think an hour commute is bearable for such a demanding degree?

All I can tell you is that lots of people commute to work an hour each way. It gives you a break and let’s you clear your head so not a bad thing. Half an hour is common (even when living out at uni) but an hour is doable.

a big part of uni is the experience of living in halls and working out who you are

its really your choice tho
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Would you say it's probably more time consuming if I was to live independently? For example I would have to do my own shopping, cooking, washing etc however if I was to stay at home it will basically all be done therefore more time to study but longer commute time.

I would be a bit embarrassed to have my parents doing those things for me as an adult even if I was living at home, tbh. But I wouldn't say those things took up massive amounts of time for me at uni (admittedly, I didn't really cook or clean much during exam season :redface: )
Reply 8
I commuted an hour for all of my degrees, it's not as bad as it sounds.
Reply 9

Many doctors commute more than that to work. I commuted 1.5hours each way to work whilst studying for my postgraduate medical exams.
Original post by gjd800
I commuted an hour for all of my degrees, it's not as bad as it sounds.

What degrees did you do?
Reply 11
What degrees did you do?

BA, MA, PhD Philosophy
Reply 12
Honestly I don't really want the uni experience, doesn't look appealing and want to go just for education.

So you don't want to make friends, join study groups or be part of sports teams, societies or take up other opportunities?
I had an hour commute but still had to move to go to the Uni (Edinburgh- but only an absolute toss would live in the actual city. I lived outside it, like a god damn king no less!) The independence is great.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
Hi,

So basically I am going Keele for Medicine this September as I have a unconditional offer and have firmed it. However, I live in Manchester, and I am torn between living in halls or commuting. Google maps says the commute is 52 minutes to an hour. Personally I feel as though i can do it and have seen many people commute the same/longer for college. Just want some thoughts about it.

thinking of commuting myself from near manchester to lancaster up north, about 40-50 mins seems pretty do able. i also would prefer to stay home away from the "uni life"
Reply 15
Original post by ibbya04
thinking of commuting myself from near manchester to lancaster up north, about 40-50 mins seems pretty do able. i also would prefer to stay home away from the "uni life"

Manchester to Lancaster can be done via the train. My daughter goes that way when she commutes from Nottingham to Lancaster and goes via Manchester piccadilly. Just be mindful during exam season it might be a good idea to get an air b and b locally (theres a few in the city) just so you are close to the uni during that time. Also just be mindful of the strikes, although they do have lecture capture there so you dont miss out.
Original post by ibbya04

Original post by Ghostlady
Manchester to Lancaster can be done via the train. My daughter goes that way when she commutes from Nottingham to Lancaster and goes via Manchester piccadilly. Just be mindful during exam season it might be a good idea to get an air b and b locally (theres a few in the city) just so you are close to the uni during that time. Also just be mindful of the strikes, although they do have lecture capture there so you dont miss out.

Yeah same, and tbh the "uni life" seems quite haram imo. Like the clubbing and all that stuff, I feel like staying at home will allow me to be on the right path.
Reply 17
Yeah same, and tbh the "uni life" seems quite haram imo. Like the clubbing and all that stuff, I feel like staying at home will allow me to be on the right path.

precisely
Reply 18

My daughter, she lives in Lancaster city. Shes not one for clubbing and does not drink alcohol. Shes only been the once this year. Shes more of a pub quiz, gaming and movies at her friends houses and nice meals out. Uni is totally what you make of it; everyone is free to be very social or as little social how they want to be :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest