The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree

I have chosen to study Chemistry at University, but I am having doubts. The only reason I chose to study Chemistry was because I enjoyed it at A-level and I liked the quantitative aspect to it

I don't read up on chemistry in my own time, i dont neccasarily want a job in chemistry like i dont care for making drugs to cure the next illness or whatever and i dont like labs.

I am worried that only liking chemistry instead of loving it, is not enough to keep me going through 3 years of a complex degree.
Original post by Possumm8
I have chosen to study Chemistry at University, but I am having doubts. The only reason I chose to study Chemistry was because I enjoyed it at A-level and I liked the quantitative aspect to it

I don't read up on chemistry in my own time, i dont neccasarily want a job in chemistry like i dont care for making drugs to cure the next illness or whatever and i dont like labs.

I am worried that only liking chemistry instead of loving it, is not enough to keep me going through 3 years of a complex degree.

That is fair. If you don’t feel you would manage a chemistry degree over three years, then perhaps giving alternative courses a look is a wise move.

I would advise you check a range of uni websites to see whether the course content is appealing.

In terms of career prospects for chemistry graduates, Cardiff university says the following:

“Graduate chemists have an array of career options. Many join the chemical industry, while others enter academia or government establishments. A number of graduates use the logical and practical training they have gained to enter marketing, sales, management or finance. Scientific journalism, publishing and teaching are all realistic potential destinations. Equally, the specific skills gained in laboratories can provide a stepping stone to roles in the manufacturing industry.”

Quick Reply

Latest