The Student Room Group

Crisis of Subjects - I don't know what to study at uni

I'm currently in Year 12, and so I'm beginning to look at unis and what to do as a degree.

I study Chemistry, Sociology, and English Lang/Lit - it's a weird combination I know, but I like them all and originally planned to study English or Law at uni and just chose chem cuz I liked it.

Then due to studying it at A-level, I started to really love chemistry and then started looking at degrees.

This is when it becomes annoying. Since Christmas I have been planning to study chemistry and because I only do one science I planned on going to the University of York where the entry requirements are A*AA - my predicted grades are A*A*A.

I went to York's open day yesterday (01/07/2023), and I basically lost all faith that I could ever study chemistry with only chem A-level as they said they're unlikely to accept anyone who doesn't do another science/maths. Now I'm stuck.

I would study English as my 2nd choice, but I know my parents would hate that I'm changing my mind - they don't care what I study just that I'm now deciding on something else after having my heart set on chemistry.

I also don't even know if I'd enjoy English as a degree. I like the A-level, but I love chemistry, and I think I'd always kinda regret not doing science more. But I'd also regret not doing English more as it's always been my "gifted and talented" subject.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

TLDR: hopes of a chem degree were crushed due to bad A-level choices so now I'm floundering.
perhaps take a gap year and think about it. if ur up for the challenge, maybe take maths a level or another science a level during ur gap year
Reply 2
Original post by PopulousClone
I'm currently in Year 12, and so I'm beginning to look at unis and what to do as a degree.

I study Chemistry, Sociology, and English Lang/Lit - it's a weird combination I know, but I like them all and originally planned to study English or Law at uni and just chose chem cuz I liked it.

Then due to studying it at A-level, I started to really love chemistry and then started looking at degrees.

This is when it becomes annoying. Since Christmas I have been planning to study chemistry and because I only do one science I planned on going to the University of York where the entry requirements are A*AA - my predicted grades are A*A*A.

I went to York's open day yesterday (01/07/2023), and I basically lost all faith that I could ever study chemistry with only chem A-level as they said they're unlikely to accept anyone who doesn't do another science/maths. Now I'm stuck.

That's a little surprising as their web site explicitly states the admissions requirements for students who are not taking maths or any other sciences.

AAB including A in Chemistry plus two other sciences/mathematics

AAA including A in Chemistry plus one other science/mathematics

A*AA including A in Chemistry

[that's from https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-chemistry/#entry]

Bristol (for example) doesn't state a requirement for A-level maths, or other A-level sciences for its Chemistry course -- their standard offer for Chemistry is "AAA including Chemistry" [that's from http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/chemistry/bsc-chemistry/#entry-requirements]

So it might be worth looking around to see what options there are for other universities, not just York.
Would you consider a gap year to do another a level or a foundation year at somewhere like Manchester? It's not worth doing English if it's not your passion.
(edited 9 months ago)

I would study English as my 2nd choice, but I know my parents would hate that I'm changing my mind - they don't care what I study just that I'm now deciding on something else after having my heart set on chemistry.

I also don't even know if I'd enjoy English as a degree. I like the A-level, but I love chemistry, and I think I'd always kinda regret not doing science more. But I'd also regret not doing English more as it's always been my "gifted and talented" subject.

TLDR: hopes of a chem degree were crushed due to bad A-level choices so now I'm floundering.

Perhaps look for chemistry degrees offering a foundation year - as these will give you a year of studying science and maths subjects to bring you up to the level needed to cope with the first year of the degree :smile:

Some examples include Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, and others. Southampton in particular has a quite strong chemistry department too! (although I think Southampton do consider those with just chemistry and 2 non-science subjects but have higher entry requirements).

English and chemistry are vastly different degrees. Bear in mind an English lit degree will be a degree in literary analysis and criticism - do you actually specifically like that? The close reading, learning about different theoretical frameworks and applying them to do different texts, etc.
Don't study English just because you can't do Chemistry. Definitely find ways round this!
The foundation suggestion is a good one. As is looking at other Universities. There are plenty out there, and if their requirements seem unclear then give them a call to double check who would consider you.

There are a number of universities that dont require 2 sciences. As far as I can see from a quick check Swansea dont and undoubtably there will be others.

The foundation year is one option but you could consider restarting year 12 with a different set of subjects or taking a gap year and studying an appropriate subject.

It appears Cardiff and Liverpool dont require 2 sciences. Check them out.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending