The Student Room Group

Chemistry careers…?

Hey guys, I am currently studying chemistry, biology and psychology at A level. I have considered medicine for a while but am starting to doubt if the degree is what I want to do because of the wider aspects it covers such as histology and Latin. My interests currently lie in chemistry rather than bio or psych but I am unsure on what is available to me that would earn a good living. My teacher always talks about industrial chemistry as a possibility but again I have no clue on how to research it more. Any help would be appreciated, thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by cutechemist
Hey guys, I am currently studying chemistry, biology and psychology at A level. I have considered medicine for a while but am starting to doubt if the degree is what I want to do because of the wider aspects it covers such as histology and Latin. My interests currently lie in chemistry rather than bio or psych but I am unsure on what is available to me that would earn a good living. My teacher always talks about industrial chemistry as a possibility but again I have no clue on how to research it more. Any help would be appreciated, thankyou :smile:

Ik that chemical engineering is a rlly cool, interesting career- maybe search up what chemical engineering involves ?
If you have an interest in chemistry you could consider chemical research or becoming an academic?
You could always consider teaching science if that floats your boat!
A chemistry degree (or any science degree) gives you a really good route into the finance sector (an ever present and booming industry in this country lol) . You could consider consulting, accounting, banking, private equity ; all very lucrative careers!
You could combine an interest in biology and chemistry and look into sustainable development, or could look into finding solutions to combatting climate change (very in demand at the moment- look into biotechnology)
You could also go down the pharmacology or even the forensic science route with a chemistry degree!
At this point I’d say just focus on picking a degree you really think you’ll enjoy and will keep all of your options open 🙂 hope this helps!
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest