The Student Room Group

Extreme anxiety before dissertation deadline submission

I have my dissertation due in a few days. I have already finished most of it. But few days before submission, I always get extreme anxiety, like I feel that my work is not good enough and that I need to make it more perfect. I also have this habit of changing even one or two words and then submitting and resubmitting my work multiple times until the deadline. However after the deadline, I am at peace and I don't do anything as I know its not worth it anymore. How to get rid of this OCD/perfectionism? My grades at at borderline so that makes me scared even more.
Is there someone who trust who could read through your final draft and just give you some reassurance that it's reading well/anywhere there's genuine room for improvement? Having someone else look over it will help to separate what actually isn't clear/could be expanded on vs what's just your brain overthinking.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have my dissertation due in a few days. I have already finished most of it. But few days before submission, I always get extreme anxiety, like I feel that my work is not good enough and that I need to make it more perfect. I also have this habit of changing even one or two words and then submitting and resubmitting my work multiple times until the deadline. However after the deadline, I am at peace and I don't do anything as I know its not worth it anymore. How to get rid of this OCD/perfectionism? My grades at at borderline so that makes me scared even more.

Please do not compare your experience to OCD, you dont have it based on your symptoms. Its like saying you have psychosis because sometimes you talk to yourself, they are not in the same ballpark. You dont need a diagnosis to be taken seriously by the TSR collective.

I personally dont see an issue with what you do, its stressful but submitting a dissertation always is. I think your experience of doubt is normal also, particularly if you are at borderline grading. You also seem well able to let it go post submission. I would say give yourself a break and dont pathologise your experience. You are fine albeit anxious, you will get through this as you always do.

Take care,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest