The Student Room Group

friends in year 13

i feel so stupid writing this but my only friend in my class failed her as-levels so now i literally have no one. we might still be able to see eachother depending on our timetables because she’s taking a btec course but like, i feel like i don’t wanna do alevels anymore.

it’s not necessarily just because she’s not in my class anymore, but the fact that thinking about doing a-levels for another year is literally making me cry. i honestly don’t think i’m in the right mental space for it, and with not having friends doing alevels makes me feel so isolated. i literally regret doing a-levels so much 😭
has anyone here made new friends in their year 13 classes? idk i feel like everyone has their groups now and that i don’t fit in anywhere. i don’t want to be alone for 8 hours a day it will make my mental health SO much worse
Original post by Anonymous
i feel so stupid writing this but my only friend in my class failed her as-levels so now i literally have no one. we might still be able to see eachother depending on our timetables because she’s taking a btec course but like, i feel like i don’t wanna do alevels anymore.

it’s not necessarily just because she’s not in my class anymore, but the fact that thinking about doing a-levels for another year is literally making me cry. i honestly don’t think i’m in the right mental space for it, and with not having friends doing alevels makes me feel so isolated. i literally regret doing a-levels so much 😭
has anyone here made new friends in their year 13 classes? idk i feel like everyone has their groups now and that i don’t fit in anywhere. i don’t want to be alone for 8 hours a day it will make my mental health SO much worse

I mean, when I was in year 13, we were in the same classes, but our seating plan changed, so I was on tables with people I hadnt talked to people. Over time, we talked in class, had lunch together, and sat next to each other when we studied independently. I know that friend groups would have already be established, but it doesnt mean you cant make new friends.

Also, there will be new year 12’s. In your independent study, you could sit with them (if they are studying the same subjects). You can help them and reinforce your knowledge on your year 12 topics through speaking, and find gaps in your own knowledge.

in terms of your year 13 class… if you are not friends with the people on your table, so you feel you cant involve yourself in the small talk, try to. You have nothing to lose, I know it will be hard, but it will make things easier. Just focus on the class and your learning.
Reply 2
I hate to say it but you shouldn't give something up just because your friends aren't there; I know how daunting it is to do something all alone, look at me! I've moved to three countries (a little back and forth as well) and had to go to 5 different schools in the span of 7 years! Just know that you are not alone! You can make good of a bad situation, speaking from experience, as much as I love my home country I seriously don't belong there, I'm too whitewashed to be fully Asian, and too Asian to be white, but I made friends along the way, and still stay in contact with them. I know it's a bit cliché but you could always confide in an adult or your friend about your fears and take steps to tackle your mental space. It's going to be hard but you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by putting yourself out there. :smile:

Don't give up! I'm going to new 6form for year 13 and I won't know a single person at this 6form. I've never been to this school at all and I've never been the new girl ever so I'm very worried if I'll be lonely and if I'll make friends but tbh, I don't care as well because there's only 9 months of year 13 and my only focus should and will be acing my A-levels and getting into university. I'm sure you'll be able to make friends. If not, just embrace the loneliness. No one will say anything to you anyways unless they're absolutely horrid people. Good luck and please just focus on your A-levels. Don't give up :smile: Remember, you're not the only one. I know a girl in a different city that was friends with yr 13s only and now that they're gone, she's going to be lonely at 6form and she's happy with it. You're not alone in this!

Quick Reply

Latest