The Student Room Group

Pre-Recorded Online Lectures

Hi all,
I'm curious as to how common it is to encounter this form of course material delivery (pre-recorded online lectures with no in-person lectures), as well as, in your opinion as a student, how engaging this is for you and its impact on your experience at uni as a whole.
Thanks!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by enchila12
Hi all,
I'm curious as to how common it is to encounter this form of course material delivery (pre-recorded online lectures), as well as, in your opinion as a student, how engaging this is for you and its impact on your experience at uni as a whole.
Thanks!

Most of our lectures will be recorded, so we can watch time again, which is good.
Pre-recorded lectures are useful, but I would find it less useful than not pre recorded (as it allows flexibility to ask questions)
Hi all,
I'm curious as to how common it is to encounter this form of course material delivery (pre-recorded online lectures), as well as, in your opinion as a student, how engaging this is for you and its impact on your experience at uni as a whole.
Thanks!

Hello @enchila12

All my lectures and seminars have been in person, which personally I find a lot more engaging and insightful. The lectures are often recorded at university so you can rewatch them but I think it is beneficial to attend lectures and seminars in person personally :smile:

I hope this helps,
Katie - Third year Educational Psychology student.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi all,
Thanks!

Hello,

Pre-recorded lectures are quite common nowadays, especially after the pandemic. Pre-recorded lectures are quite useful for independent study time or if you're not feeling particularly well to attend a lecture. Personally, I have trouble with sitting down and watching pre-recorded lectures as I often find myself easily distracted and oddly enough they don't make me feel as productive as say attending a lecture at a lecture all.

Still, if you eliminate distractions (Mainly my phone), I believe it is pretty useful as it does allow you to spend more time studying independently and at your own pace. However, they don't allow you to ask questions if you're unsure about something, which is a big disadvantage.

I would suggest using pre-recorded lectures for exam revision, but still attend your in-person lectures (If you are able to) as it is more useful in the long run and it gives you a sense of routine.

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)
Hi all,
I'm curious as to how common it is to encounter this form of course material delivery (pre-recorded online lectures with no in-person lectures), as well as, in your opinion as a student, how engaging this is for you and its impact on your experience at uni as a whole.
Thanks!

Hi enchila12,

Pre-recorded lectures became quite common during and soon after the pandemic. I found these quite useful because I could keep up with the delivery of the lecture by pausing and going back if I missed anything. Alongside pre-recorded lectures we also got seminar-type lectures (on Zoom during the pandemic but in-person after) where we discussed the lecture - addressing any topics that needed further explanations, reiterating important points, asking further questions and having a wider discussion. I personally found these complemented each other to make an engaging and insightful experience overall.

More recently though, pre-recorded lectures have been less common (in my experience at least). Now most lectures are in-person which is more engaging as you're listening to a 'real' person if that makes sense. There's also more motivation because you're in an environment where everyone is there to learn and there's less distractions. These in-person lectures are also recorded and posted online in most cases, so I don't have to worry about writing everything down quickly.

In my opinion both are engaging but in different ways, and I didn't find pre-recorded lectures negatively impacted my experience at uni:smile:

I hope this helps,

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending