The Student Room Group

Foundation Computer Science

Looking to do Computer Science Foundation which are the top Universities that cover this and what are their requirements. Thanks 😊
Original post by REN33
Looking to do Computer Science Foundation which are the top Universities that cover this and what are their requirements. Thanks 😊

Why are you specifically targeting degrees with an extra foundation year? If your grades would allow you to access a standard 3-year Computer Science degree, would you be interested?

Are you studying A levels, BTECs, a combination of the two, or something else? (This will impact what universities would be appropriate for you to consider.)

What subjects are you doing (or thinking of doing)?
Reply 2
I achieved a C in my Computer Science A level and Merit,Merit,Merit in my Level 3 extended Diploma in Computer Game Design. I am resitting my Computer Science and completing an EPQ but having been disappointed in missing my place this year because I didn't receive a B in my computer science A level I wanted to cover myself for next year really and hoped for a good university.
Original post by REN33
I achieved a C in my Computer Science A level and Merit,Merit,Merit in my Level 3 extended Diploma in Computer Game Design. I am resitting my Computer Science and completing an EPQ but having been disappointed in missing my place this year because I didn't receive a B in my computer science A level I wanted to cover myself for next year really and hoped for a good university.

OK. So you're looking for "a good university" which will accept:

MMM in Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Computer Game Design,
a grade C (or hopefully better, following the resit) in Computer Science, and
an EPQ.

(I'm going to ignore that fact that Pearson, who own the BTEC brand, claim that there is no BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in "Computer Game Design", as many colleges "re-brand" BTECs in order to make them sound more interesting to candidates. In reality it's likely to say "Computing" or "Information Technology" on your certificate).

I don't know what you'd consider "a good university". Can you let us know where you just missed-out on a place at this year, so we can use it as a benchmark? As I'm sure you know, the best universities for Computer Science are going to want to see D*DD for your BTEC and A level Maths. Below that top tier you'd have placed like Cardiff or Royal Holloway, but they're still looking for DDM.

How about one of these?

Computer Science with a Foundation Year - BSc (Hons) at Birmingham City University: "BTEC Extended Diploma: MMM" (details)
Computer Science BSc (Hons) at University of Brighton : "BTEC Extended Diploma DMM–MMM." (details)
BSc (Hons) Computing Science with a Foundation Year at University of East Anglia: "BTEC MMM" (details)
Reply 4
Its actually UAL Level 3 extended Diploma in creative media design.
Original post by REN33
Its actually UAL Level 3 extended Diploma in creative media design.

Oh. OK. Most of the degree courses with specify that qualification by name seem to be on the "creative" side of IT. For example:
BSc (Hons) Creating Computing at Norwich University of the Arts (details)
BSc (Hons) Computer Science at University for the Creative Arts (details)

Is that what you found last year? If so, you were presumably applying to universities which set their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points rather than specific qualifications. Is that right?

Or perhaps you're actively looking for the more creative side of computer science, given that your UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma leans in that direction?
Reply 6
No I applied for a university that took into account my qualifications and experience and looked at the whole picture not UCAS points. Fingers crossed they give me the same offer but as a back up I was looking into other options and places.
Original post by REN33
No I applied for a university that took into account my qualifications and experience and looked at the whole picture not UCAS points. Fingers crossed they give me the same offer but as a back up I was looking into other options and places.

Understood. Good luck. :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending