The Student Room Group

Can i study computer science at Uni if ?

Am currently doing H&SC, Applied Science and level 3 BTEC business study, I would love to study computer science at Uni but am not sure if what am if i would be accepted based on the subjects am studying
Original post by JesterKamala
Am currently doing H&SC, Applied Science and level 3 BTEC business study, I would love to study computer science at Uni but am not sure if what am if i would be accepted based on the subjects am studying

Yes, although your choice of universities will be limited because (a) you don't have A level Maths and (b) your BTECs don't include IT or Computing. Those for which those BTECs should be acceptable (but do check with the admission teams) include:

De Montfort want say, "BTEC National Diploma/ Extended Diploma at DMM" for their Computer Science course. Note that they're talking about a single Extended Diploma, rather than three separate Extended Certificates, but they also say "A typical offer is 112 UCAS points from at least two A-levels or equivalent", which suggests that three separate Extended Certificates will be fine, but do contact that them to check. (details)

Huddersfield need "DMM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma", with no subjects specified, for their Computer Science course. They make it clear that three separate Extended Certificates is fine with, "BBB at A Level, 120 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications." (details)

Plymouth want "DMM-DDM - science related subjects: science related subjects: IT, Humanities, Engineering, Software Development, IT Practitioners, Business, Computing, Science" for their Computer Science (Cyber Security) course, but do say "it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC". (details)

Then you have the foundation year route. For example,

Loughborough specifically say that their Computer Science with a Foundation Year degree is "Only available to applicants who have not taken A-Level Maths". They specify their BTEC requirements as "BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma: DDD". (details)

Salford say that their Computer Science with a Foundation Year course is for those who "Feel that their mathematics would benefit from some improvement before embarking on a degree course". Their requirements are "72 UCAS points from any subject combination without Mathematics or Computing." (details)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending