The Student Room Group

Foundation/non foundation computer science courses

Hi guys can I apply for foundation and non foundation versions of the same course in my UCAS application (computer science)? If so, can I just talk about the same stuff in my personal statement?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Clivierx
Hi guys can I apply for foundation and non foundation versions of the same course in my UCAS application (computer science)? If so, can I just talk about the same stuff in my personal statement?

Yes you can talk about the same stuff - your passion for computer science!
As for foundation year and on foundation yes but can you tell me your A Levels…
As foundation year is if your current subject combination doesnt specifiy a specfic subject that is required
But that depends on the university you apply to
For example, nottingham computer science require A*AA, any subject combination, but is AAA if you take computer science A Level
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Computer-Science-MSci-Hons-U7UCMPSC.html
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Be careful if you’re considering Loughborough as they won’t let you on the foundation if you’ve done A level maths. Very strange lol.
Reply 3
Original post by Cat21466
Be careful if you’re considering Loughborough as they won’t let you on the foundation if you’ve done A level maths. Very strange lol.

Its designed for those without Maths - ie. as widening participation to CS.
Reply 4
Yes. But it’s strange they would rather take people who took easy or non-connected subjects, and turn away widening participation people who worked hard on maths A level but their circumstances meant they didn’t quite get a high enough maths grade but would really benefit from the foundation programme. Most foundation courses just require the minimum grades - they don’t penalise people for attempting maths A level!

I’m just warning the op that if they want to go Loughborough via the foundation route, they shouldn’t do maths or they’ll eliminate themselves!
Reply 5
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Yes you can talk about the same stuff - your passion for computer science!
As for foundation year and on foundation yes but can you tell me your A Levels…
As foundation year is if your current subject combination doesnt specifiy a specfic subject that is required
But that depends on the university you apply to
For example, nottingham computer science require A*AA, any subject combination, but is AAA if you take computer science A Level
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Computer-Science-MSci-Hons-U7UCMPSC.html

Yeah that's the thing, none of my subjects are relevant I take Media studies, business and graphics. The thing is, I pretty decent grades for them (A*BB) and I heard bellow the top 30 unis only care about grades. That's besides the point, the non foundation year courses I looked up were from the top 50 unis that didn't require maths or any relevant subject and then the other foundation year courses were the same thing but just a foundation year and lower subject requirements.

What do you think I should do here, let's say i could apply for both, what priority should I set, the foundation courses or the non foundation? Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
If you have no CS experience and no maths A level it might be best to do the foundation or you might struggle, as you’ll be in with people who have programming experience and/or good maths results. The foundations tend to be broader too, so you might find you don’t like CS after all but it can still be used to enter other degrees.
Original post by Clivierx
Yeah that's the thing, none of my subjects are relevant I take Media studies, business and graphics. The thing is, I pretty decent grades for them (A*BB) and I heard bellow the top 30 unis only care about grades. That's besides the point, the non foundation year courses I looked up were from the top 50 unis that didn't require maths or any relevant subject and then the other foundation year courses were the same thing but just a foundation year and lower subject requirements.

What do you think I should do here, let's say i could apply for both, what priority should I set, the foundation courses or the non foundation? Thank you :smile:

Computer sciences degrees will inevitably require coding, a skill you do not have. You will struggle in the computer science course without a foundation year. I suggest doing the foundation year, or doing online MOOC’s on coding to increase your skill.
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/computer-science
Explore further
Go deeper into topics around computer science with the following.
Try CodeAcademy
Learn to code for free.
AppMaster
Watch YouTube videos of how to develop apps without code.
WIRED podcasts
Find out about the latest way tech is changing our lives.

It depends: since after the A Level exams, you have the summer holidays as extra time to improve your coding skills.
So it depends, on how much time your willing to teach yourself to code in your spare time. But it is best to do the foundation year
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Computer sciences degrees will inevitably require coding, a skill you do not have. You will struggle in the computer science course without a foundation year. I suggest doing the foundation year, or doing online MOOC’s on coding to increase your skill.
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/computer-science
Explore further
Go deeper into topics around computer science with the following.
Try CodeAcademy
Learn to code for free.
AppMaster
Watch YouTube videos of how to develop apps without code.
WIRED podcasts
Find out about the latest way tech is changing our lives.

It depends: since after the A Level exams, you have the summer holidays as extra time to improve your coding skills.
So it depends, on how much time your willing to teach yourself to code in your spare time. But it is best to do the foundation year

Thank you for this, will definitely take this into account!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending