The Student Room Group

The Official Psychology Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by husky-roost
oh no! does that mean i was rejected 😭😭

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - it's a mistake in the conditions of the offer (usually) :smile:
Original post by Scotland Yard
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - it's a mistake in the conditions of the offer (usually) :smile:

okay, thank you. i’ve sent them an email asking for clarification. was up all night stressing about them withdrawing my offer bc they realised they made a mistake 😭😭😭
Guys anyone hear anything from St. Andy’s, Warwick or Bath at like 4:20pm today? I got a track update email but I’m scared to look so I need a bit of a heads up
Original post by DopamineDeficit
Guys anyone hear anything from St. Andy’s, Warwick or Bath at like 4:20pm today? I got a track update email but I’m scared to look so I need a bit of a heads up

I got rejected from St. Andrew’s a few days ago, as did someone else I know (not for Psych), although I’m going to Cambridge anyway :smile:
Original post by swaggir
I applied to Jesus, what about you?

Original post by Yourmum133
I applied to Emmanuel, what other unis did you apply to?

Original post by annabelolivia
hi - i’ve applied for cambridge, st andrews, edinburgh, exeter and york and i’ve had an offer from york and got a cambridge interview :smile:

Hey guys, were any of you successful in your Cambridge applications?
Original post by tinkybellaleo
I just got a psych offer!!

congrats! i got one too !!
Original post by tjell
just got a psychology offer for leeds today aaa

well done!!
Congrats guys 😊
I have applied in Leiden University for Master of Clinical Psychology in Feb 15 but still now reply from them. The university though, says that they would reply after 4 to 6 weeks after submitting the application. Can anyone help me why they are getting late?
anyone heard from edi? they apparently take so so long for UK students
Anyone firmed a place at Uni of Chester?? I’ve firmed forensic psych!!
anyone heard from kings ?
Anyone for Leiden? Why are sooo late?
Original post by haechansgf
anyone heard from kings ?

yeah at the start of feb
Original post by Scotland Yard

The Official Psychology Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread!

Hello everyone :party:
This is a space for Psychology applicants to meet, ask and chat with other applicants! :biggrin: If you want to, please introduce yourself, here are some questions to help you:
~Why do you want to study Psychology?
~Which universities are you thinking of applying?
~What A-Levels are you taking and what are your predicted grades?
~How are you feeling about starting university?
~Favourite song? :tongue:
You can find the directory for all university and course threads in the Student Room here.
Wish everyone the best of luck, and rock on! :thrasher::goodluck:

Hi all. My daughter come from Hong Kong and started year12 here and she apply the university this year but asshe don’t have GCSE/IGCSE just only have thepredicted grade for A-Level and maybe she appliedall the universities in London so she rejected by threeand two remaining still don’t have any feedback. MayI know what can she do in this moment? Or just waitthe clearing after have the actually A Level result? Iam worried she missing something to do. Pleasehelp!
Original post by PollyMak
Hi all. My daughter come from Hong Kong and started year12 here and she apply the university this year but asshe don’t have GCSE/IGCSE just only have thepredicted grade for A-Level and maybe she appliedall the universities in London so she rejected by threeand two remaining still don’t have any feedback. MayI know what can she do in this moment? Or just waitthe clearing after have the actually A Level result? Iam worried she missing something to do. Pleasehelp!

Hi. UK universities do accept high school qualifications other than GCSE/IGSEs. So unless your daughter had not provided her secondary grades from her HK school, it would not have been an issue for the universities' consideration.

Of the 3 England schools that rejected her, did they give a reason (however simple they usually are)? Which ones are they? Where were her predicted A levels grades and what were her subjects?

If she still wants to wait for decisions from the remaining 2 universities, there is nothing she needs to do now. If unfortunately she gets all rejections, and end up not holding any offers, then she can use UCAS Extra. https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by BubblesBB
Hi. UK universities do accept high school qualifications other than GCSE/IGSEs. So unless your daughter had not provided her secondary grades from her HK school, it would not have been an issue for the universities' consideration.
Of the 3 London schools that rejected her, did they give a reason (however simple they usually are)? Which ones are they? Where were her predicted A levels grades and what were her subjects?
If she still wants to wait for decisions from the remaining 2 universities, there is nothing she needs to do now. If unfortunately she gets all rejections, and end up not holding any offers, then she can use UCAS Extra. https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

She studied Psy, business and sociology and she does not have the result in Hong Kong as the curriculum in there is called DSE and which take the exam when she finished year 12 but she come here to study year 12. But the school had issued the predicted grade which converted to the UCAS. She rejected by KCL, LSE and Bath.
She studied Psy, business and sociology and she does not have the result in Hong Kong as the curriculum in there is called DSE and which take the exam when she finished year 12 but she come here to study year 12. But the school had issued the predicted grade which converted to the UCAS. She rejected by KCL, LSE and Bath.

KCL, LSE and Bath all do not use UCAS points when assessing applicants. They only look at the predicted grades in themselves. These are all very competitive universities for Psychology in England, and usually when they say they need "at least one" subject from Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Math for subject entry requirements, it's because most of the applicants present 2 or 3 of these subjects. I think Bath is the only one that does not specify subject requirements but because the course is one of the best in the country, the applicants typically have very competitive subject combinations as well.

If I were in your daughter's situation, I will wait for the remaining 2 universities to come back with their decisions. In the meantime, I would make a shortlist of other universities that I could potentially approach under UCAS Extra (You can use UCAS Search with filter for "courses with vacancies") e.g. Bath Spa Cardiff, Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Loughborough, Queen Mary Uni of London, Westminister London are examples of universities who have vacancies and there are many more.

If the continued search for courses with vacancies do not yield satisfactory universities that your daughter would like to go to, then wait till after results and see if better universities have vacancies in Clearing. Note that because Psychology is competitive, you may not see vacancies anyway.

Lastly, she can choose to take a gap year and apply to university again with her actual results in hand. It is uncertain if she would be considered more favourably with attained grades in spite of her subject combination.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by BubblesBB
KCL, LSE and Bath all do not use UCAS points when assessing applicants. They only look at the predicted grades in themselves. These are all very competitive universities for Psychology in London, and usually when they say they need "at least one" subject from Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Math for subject entry requirements, it's because most of the applicants present 2 or 3 of these subjects. I think Bath is the only one that does not specify subject requirements but because the course is one of the best in the country, the applicants typically have very competitive subject combinations as well.
If I were in your daughter's situation, I will wait for the remaining 2 universities to come back with their decisions. In the meantime, I would make a shortlist of other universities that I could potentially approach under UCAS Extra (You can use UCAS Search with filter for "courses with vacancies") e.g. Bath Spa Cardiff, Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Loughborough, Queen Mary Uni of London, Westminister London are examples of universities who have vacancies and there are many more.
If the continued search for courses with vacancies do not yield satisfactory universities that your daughter would like to go to, then wait till after results and see if better universities have vacancies in Clearing. Note that because Psychology is competitive, you may not see vacancies anyway.
Lastly, she can choose to take a gap year and apply to university again with her actual results in hand. It is uncertain if she would be considered more favourably with attained grades in spite of her subject combination.

Okay thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Would let my daughter know it.
Okay thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Would let my daughter know it.

also , she’s only y12. technically, she still has 1 more year. it may be more of an advantage to apply with her actual A level results instead of. predicted results. i myself am going to leeds for psych and they’re great! i really recommend looking at other unis outside of london. what are her predicted grades ?

Quick Reply

Latest