The Student Room Group

A-Level French Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erin11
hey everyone,
just after some advice about essay writing for the book - I know how and what to do but any time I've written an essay about the book, im stuck at around a C. what structure do people use for their essays? how do keep it concise and to the point? my teacher told me I overcomplicate my essays but hasn't really been much help overall whenever ive asked for feedback 😕 its frustrating bc I do well on essays about the film and I want to get a good grade

Omg the lit essays are always so rough!!

Do you plan before you start writing? If you've been taught a specific way to plan, I'd suggest following that super closely and see if there's an improvement, but if not:

It might help to make a super clear plan (spending about 10-15 mins if you're brave and fast enough at writing the actual essay??) at the start:

highlight the key words in the question, sometimes there are some words that they obviously want you to focus on - note if there are two "parts" to the question, make sure to cover both/all!!

write the key words in the middle of a mindmap, and draw out EVERY idea you can from it - think of any evidence/quotes/themes/motifs/other evidence you can pull to support your ideas too (it's okay if they overlap/repeat!)

group similar ideas together, then choose your top 3 distinct ideas

From here, you could use the TEAL/PEEL structure like in English GCSE for your paragraphs. (Topic sentence, Evidence, Analysis, Link)

Take your key idea and write a rough topic sentence

bullet point your evidence (quotes or scenes)

write one or two points of analysis for each piece of evidence, mentioning how they support your main idea

link back to your topic sentence and/or mention context or author's purpose (e.g Camus presents Meursault in this way to support the philsophy of absurdism, which suggests that...)

Last year I had a great tendency to overcomplicate my essays too! I found that I would spent time planning at the start, but when actually writing, I would think of new, "better" ideas as I went, and then I'd just forget the plan and make it up as I go, thinking i was improving.
Although I know this technique works for certain people, I think spending a solid amount of time and energy and focus at the start of the exam planning your 3 points and your selected pieces of evidence, and actually using them and them alone in your essay is a great way to be simple and clear.

When I did this, it felt SO simple, but it was actually just clear and easy to read for my teacher, and I was at a lower risk of getting jumbled in grammar too, so saved me a few marks there :smile:

Interesting that you do well on film essays (C is not bad at all though!!), why do you think that is? Are you maybe more comfortable with the actual content of the film more than the text?

There's still plenty of time to practise, and I think overcomplicating and struggling with structure is something everyone (including me) has had to overcome, but it makes it easier for us as well as the examiner to keep it as simple as possible!!

Bon courage, hope this helped :smile:
Original post by océane.
Omg the lit essays are always so rough!!

Do you plan before you start writing? If you've been taught a specific way to plan, I'd suggest following that super closely and see if there's an improvement, but if not:

It might help to make a super clear plan (spending about 10-15 mins if you're brave and fast enough at writing the actual essay??) at the start:

highlight the key words in the question, sometimes there are some words that they obviously want you to focus on - note if there are two "parts" to the question, make sure to cover both/all!!

write the key words in the middle of a mindmap, and draw out EVERY idea you can from it - think of any evidence/quotes/themes/motifs/other evidence you can pull to support your ideas too (it's okay if they overlap/repeat!)

group similar ideas together, then choose your top 3 distinct ideas

From here, you could use the TEAL/PEEL structure like in English GCSE for your paragraphs. (Topic sentence, Evidence, Analysis, Link)

Take your key idea and write a rough topic sentence

bullet point your evidence (quotes or scenes)

write one or two points of analysis for each piece of evidence, mentioning how they support your main idea

link back to your topic sentence and/or mention context or author's purpose (e.g Camus presents Meursault in this way to support the philsophy of absurdism, which suggests that...)

Last year I had a great tendency to overcomplicate my essays too! I found that I would spent time planning at the start, but when actually writing, I would think of new, "better" ideas as I went, and then I'd just forget the plan and make it up as I go, thinking i was improving.
Although I know this technique works for certain people, I think spending a solid amount of time and energy and focus at the start of the exam planning your 3 points and your selected pieces of evidence, and actually using them and them alone in your essay is a great way to be simple and clear.

When I did this, it felt SO simple, but it was actually just clear and easy to read for my teacher, and I was at a lower risk of getting jumbled in grammar too, so saved me a few marks there :smile:

Interesting that you do well on film essays (C is not bad at all though!!), why do you think that is? Are you maybe more comfortable with the actual content of the film more than the text?

There's still plenty of time to practise, and I think overcomplicating and struggling with structure is something everyone (including me) has had to overcome, but it makes it easier for us as well as the examiner to keep it as simple as possible!!

Bon courage, hope this helped :smile:

thank you so much!! ❤️
Hello A-level French students! Just a quick note to let you all know that the brilliant @erin11 is setting up live study together sessions for all levels of French students. Click here to check it out and get involved!
Original post by Pwca
Hello A-level French students! Just a quick note to let you all know that the brilliant @erin11 is setting up live study together sessions for all levels of French students. Click here to check it out and get involved!
First session is live - 17.00-18.30!! come and get involved if you can <3
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7447498#post99190936
Original post by Pwca
Second session is live!
Original post by charmaine.d
hello hello !! hoping this group eventually gains more traction but i will gladly start !!
i'm in y13, studying french and spanish with wjec eduqas !! im predicted A*s for both (hopefully :redface: !!) and hoping to get into uni of leeds !! (im also studying music tech btec !)
recently i started reading l'écume des jours but i think i need to reread what i read and note down some of the vocab in there so i can grasp the plot better. so many new words !
if anyone needs help with revision techniques or how to answer some types of exam questions, my silly little nerdy heart will be happy to help !!!!
the same question i asked in the spanish group for year 13s and year 12s if you've thought about it yet: what is your irp topic?
i'm going to do something pertaining to the cultural significance of the palace of versailles!
hey can I ask what board you are for French? I am really struggling with it, so if you are doing AQA and can give me some advice I would really appreciate it!
Original post by AlishaDaisy
Welcome to the A-level French Study Group!

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough!
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.
A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?
Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!
@Pwca and @Evil Homer
Hey guys, anyone doing AQA French A-level? I am really struggling with it all and I am looking to see if anyone has any advice or revision tips? I am re-sitting my A-level, so any help would be really appreciated!!!!!
Reply 67
Original post by shshshshshshs
Hey guys, anyone doing AQA French A-level? I am really struggling with it all and I am looking to see if anyone has any advice or revision tips? I am re-sitting my A-level, so any help would be really appreciated!!!!!
Does anyone do les 400 coups if so what r ur tips for themes and to gain ao4 marks
hey can I ask what board you are for French? I am really struggling with it, so if you are doing AQA and can give me some advice I would really appreciate it!
hello ! sorry but i'm with eduqas, but i think the majority other people here are with aqa !
what book/film are you doing??
generally I recommend:

listen to lots of music, podcasts etc

a lot of translation practice

review grammar consistently

past paper practice

Original post by erin11
what book/film are you doing??
generally I recommend:

listen to lots of music, podcasts etc

a lot of translation practice

review grammar consistently

past paper practice

Hi I’m revising AQA too at the moment, do you have any idea of how/where I could revise grammar and get translation practice aside from past papers? ( I’m self studying this a level so there isn’t much in terms of support )
Original post by SodaMontgomery
Hi I’m revising AQA too at the moment, do you have any idea of how/where I could revise grammar and get translation practice aside from past papers? ( I’m self studying this a level so there isn’t much in terms of support )
I find the AQA Grammar and Translation book useful
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Level-French-Translation-Workbook/dp/0198415532/ref=asc_df_0198415532?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79989527880066&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589102981698&psc=1
Does anyone have A/A* exemplar essays for no et moi and au revoir les enfants?
Reply 75
hi! I'm in yr12 currently and doing French and German and I was wondering if anyone has tips for the speakings. I feel like there is so much and I havent figured out the best way to revise/organise my notes well yet
Original post by LunaBraun
Does anyone have A/A* exemplar essays for no et moi and au revoir les enfants?

hi, i probably have a couple for ARLE ! i can send you links to PDFs but i gotta check the grade i was given for them first ! i can dm you tomorrow if you'd like?
Original post by flora-s
hi! I'm in yr12 currently and doing French and German and I was wondering if anyone has tips for the speakings. I feel like there is so much and I havent figured out the best way to revise/organise my notes well yet

hello !! i have a way of organising my speaking questions that might help !!

so at the end of each topic, we get a page with questions relating to the topic that could be asked in a speaking exam ! we have to write a few sentences or paragraph responses. i've been organising my revision with these questions, and then taking the key points from each answer to summarise and revise !! for example, key points would be names of festivals, unemployment rates for the general population and young people, years for important laws/historical events, the number of tourists a country/monument receives each year

i don't know how many other colleges/schools/sixth forms do end of topic questions with their lang subjects but i'm making an empty version of the questions i have, send me a dm if you want me to send you it when i'm done !! if theres any specific ones you've been given/any topics you do and that i don't do, you can easily add more !
Original post by charmaine.d
hi, i probably have a couple for ARLE ! i can send you links to PDFs but i gotta check the grade i was given for them first ! i can dm you tomorrow if you'd like?

Hi, that would be so helpful!!!
Reply 79
hey, i'm starting to fill in my record sheet for the irp, does anyone know what i need to write for the bits where i need to provide sources? is just the overall name of the website enough (e.g.- just putting wikipedia or smth) or do i need to write out the specifics of the article/page that i've found info from????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending