The Student Room Group

A-level Economics Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kranon
Hey, I'm in year 12! Are there any tips or resources you could give me?
I would definitely suggest doing past paper questions straight away. I know exams seem far but by doing exam questions and handing them in it is a real game changer. When I first started economics in year 12 I absolutely hated it because I just couldn't grasp anything I was doing. I would get Ds and Es in any mocks or questions I were to hand in and it wasn't until I started handing more and more questions that this completely changed and I went from Ds to As and A*s. I feel like economics is so much easier when you are in year 13 because all the topics link in. See if your teacher has exampro. That definitely helped a lot as it was a bunch of exam questions for economics specifically made for each topic. I have a writing frame which I will attach below which helped m massively. My economic teachers advise is always to drill into one point when you are writing your exam and analyze it over and over again. I would also definitely suggest learning the basic diagrams so you have a minimal understanding. I also found my drawing AD and AS curves and then adding the shifts (AD2 or AS2 in a different colour really helps to see how it works). https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IbstdVTOE3RZmJBfhspykJPP7dh4nXOIsK20gsPkYU4/edit?usp=sharing
Reply 21
Original post by Poppyvdk05
I would definitely suggest doing past paper questions straight away. I know exams seem far but by doing exam questions and handing them in it is a real game changer. When I first started economics in year 12 I absolutely hated it because I just couldn't grasp anything I was doing. I would get Ds and Es in any mocks or questions I were to hand in and it wasn't until I started handing more and more questions that this completely changed and I went from Ds to As and A*s. I feel like economics is so much easier when you are in year 13 because all the topics link in. See if your teacher has exampro. That definitely helped a lot as it was a bunch of exam questions for economics specifically made for each topic. I have a writing frame which I will attach below which helped m massively. My economic teachers advise is always to drill into one point when you are writing your exam and analyze it over and over again. I would also definitely suggest learning the basic diagrams so you have a minimal understanding. I also found my drawing AD and AS curves and then adding the shifts (AD2 or AS2 in a different colour really helps to see how it works). https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IbstdVTOE3RZmJBfhspykJPP7dh4nXOIsK20gsPkYU4/edit?usp=sharing
can u share the exampro questions and mark scheme?
If anyone here does a level edexcel and ur getting A*s please lemme know I wanna talk to someone and see where I'm going wrong- I'm currently really bad at macro
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by halfharry
If anyone here does a level edexcel and ur getting A*s please lemme know I wanna talk to someone and see where I'm going wrong- I'm currently really bad at macro
I am year 13 and I'm getting As (tho I'm hoping to score A*). You can knock me but I do International A levels (Edexcel)
Original post by NazifaNawer
I am year 13 and I'm getting As (tho I'm hoping to score A*). You can knock me but I do International A levels (Edexcel)
Hey I'm getting As but I really want to push myself for an A* so I was justlooking for some advice on hiw u revise/exam technique
Hi! I am also edexcel IAS student & I really need some help understanding unit 1 & 2. Maybe if u don't hav any problem then pls can u share some notes
Hey I'm getting As but I really want to push myself for an A* so I was justlooking for some advice on hiw u revise/exam technique
All I do is practice past papers, analyse the mistakes I made in past papers, take action not to repeat those mistakes (by revising more and sometimes adapting my notes) and use flashcards to remember key terms.
Original post by Nabeeha14
Hi! I am also edexcel IAS student & I really need some help understanding unit 1 & 2. Maybe if u don't hav any problem then pls can u share some notes
Ok I am going to pm them to you
Ok I am going to pm them to you
Thanks a lotttt😊
Original post by kihbkb

I will have a look and see if I can share them. I will probably have to make them into a word document so they are accessible . Once I’ve done it I’ll reply on here with it

So I was terrible at economics in year 12 and I did loads of pass paper questions, and I’m now getting A* in both micro and macro. I honestly macros slightly harder because it’s more complex and when you have to answer the questions you have to know more about context if you have any questions just let me know and I’ll reply on this one. Also for anyone else who’s reading this if you are getting low grades don’t stress about it because you can improve it. I was getting E and D every time I answered a question and now I get A or A* every time
Original post by kihbkb

For the mark scheme you just have to look up the question and copy and paste it into your search bar. I was never given a mark scheme but I have the questions I’m currently at work but I will make sure that I have done it by the end of the day. Some of the questions are edexcel. Some of them are AQA and some of them are worded it’s slightly differently but I honestly say they have helped so much because they practices questions and they’re also put into the specific tabs. which auto helps. If there are questions or not entirely sure and make sure to check and see on the mark scheme if it is at Edexcel or AQA. Physics and maths tutor is also another go to one because it’s got loads of past paper questions as well and sometimes I find that the mark scheme is actually on pmt for the question I looked at
So I was terrible at economics in year 12 and I did loads of pass paper questions, and I’m now getting A* in both micro and macro. I honestly macros slightly harder because it’s more complex and when you have to answer the questions you have to know more about context if you have any questions just let me know and I’ll reply on this one. Also for anyone else who’s reading this if you are getting low grades don’t stress about it because you can improve it. I was getting E and D every time I answered a question and now I get A or A* every time
heyyy ty for responding I also struggle with macro😭😭😭
do yyou have any tips for getting the context/ getting high marks in long response qs
Ty iin advance💙💙
do yyou have any tips for getting the context/ getting high marks in long response qs
Ty iin advance💙💙

So sorry I didn’t respond yesterday I would definitely use business insider I will actually for the one I use. I will use the business from business insider because, although it says business when you click on the link it has a lot of economics with it and I was also fine, BBC News is quite good because it’s Supposed to be non-biased so it means that you kind of get a full picture. on your BBC News app, you can put settings in for my News, which will then allow you to have things you want like economics politics, which is what I have because I do economics and politics and sociology as well, so they all kind of link into one another, but definitely those two. I would also say just keep up with the news. I know that people always say it but it actually does really help but when I say keep up with the news that doesn’t mean you have to watch the news every day because I don’t always ask your teachers for context, especially if you do question and hand in and say I was struggling with context. A lot of the context that I’ve use is to do with oil and The 2008 financial crisis is one my teacher tells us to use a lot. I found that when I handed in questions I would write for my an example of this is because I would write. I’m not sure on the context and then my teacher would come back and give me some context for that question HS2 is good context. I will have a look and see if I’ve got any thing on my Classroom because my teachers and sometimes posts good websites to use the AC/DC economics is also slightly useful. He does talk quite quickly but it does help
Ty iin advance💙💙

With regard to getting high marks context is key. I would definitely say for me. I drilled into one point and I evaluate that setpoint because my teacher always says for economics. You have to basically imagine you’re making tomato soup not vegetable soup so just putting tomatoes in to make the soup rather than putting all these different vegetables in and it actually really helped me as well and with the higher questions. If you have to evaluate imagine you’re blowing up a balloon And then when you have to counter that point and conclude your bursting the balloon and it’s although they are quite weird and allergies they do help a lot. I would also definitely recommend using a writing frame for economics because it helps a lot. Do you have a writing frame? I shove in year 12 when I was doing macro because I couldn’t get the points I was not sure about context I would definitely say get a notebook or make a word document. I’m write all the context you find you will find that the more you look into economics and the more you study the more you see in day-to-day life. I also found it for micro you don’t always have to use real life context. I sometimes use examples like supermarkets or restaurants or Cafes and you can also do the same for macro if you’ve gotthings like VAT, you can make up percentages as a way of giving an example if you can’t always think of the context because sometimes context is really difficult. I do find context is more difficult for micro in terms of world contact so I will definitely say make sure that you have some that you can make up and plan out questions that is the one thing that got me and a star is planning out questions I am in year 13, I haven’t done my exams yet, but when I’ve had my questions marked my first question I ever did I got an E and the first top marker I did was on a 25 marker I have not done before and I got an a star so I would definitely recommend planning. My teacher actually said to our class if you plan up your questions, I just hand in plans and more plans the questions don’t always tend to change the wording tend to change but the basis around them are very similar so definitely practice questions for macro graphs. They may be a nightmare but definitely have a couple graphs you know. I hope this helps and if you’ve got any more questions feel free to let me know and I will reply as soon as I can.
With regard to getting high marks context is key. I would definitely say for me. I drilled into one point and I evaluate that setpoint because my teacher always says for economics. You have to basically imagine you’re making tomato soup not vegetable soup so just putting tomatoes in to make the soup rather than putting all these different vegetables in and it actually really helped me as well and with the higher questions. If you have to evaluate imagine you’re blowing up a balloon And then when you have to counter that point and conclude your bursting the balloon and it’s although they are quite weird and allergies they do help a lot. I would also definitely recommend using a writing frame for economics because it helps a lot. Do you have a writing frame? I shove in year 12 when I was doing macro because I couldn’t get the points I was not sure about context I would definitely say get a notebook or make a word document. I’m write all the context you find you will find that the more you look into economics and the more you study the more you see in day-to-day life. I also found it for micro you don’t always have to use real life context. I sometimes use examples like supermarkets or restaurants or Cafes and you can also do the same for macro if you’ve gotthings like VAT, you can make up percentages as a way of giving an example if you can’t always think of the context because sometimes context is really difficult. I do find context is more difficult for micro in terms of world contact so I will definitely say make sure that you have some that you can make up and plan out questions that is the one thing that got me and a star is planning out questions I am in year 13, I haven’t done my exams yet, but when I’ve had my questions marked my first question I ever did I got an E and the first top marker I did was on a 25 marker I have not done before and I got an a star so I would definitely recommend planning. My teacher actually said to our class if you plan up your questions, I just hand in plans and more plans the questions don’t always tend to change the wording tend to change but the basis around them are very similar so definitely practice questions for macro graphs. They may be a nightmare but definitely have a couple graphs you know. I hope this helps and if you’ve got any more questions feel free to let me know and I will reply as soon as I can.
girll thank youuu💙💙💙💙
girll thank youuu💙💙💙💙

Honestly, no worries whatsoever, I struggled so much, but I just wish that I had someone to help me but I’m here to help because I feel like this is what I needed last year and even if this goes for anyone even if you are getting really low grades, you can’t turn it around very easily. I saw that there was a student who had an E in the exam in year 12 and the end of year 12 they went to a B and then they ended up getting a star they actual exam and that’s when I realise that I can do it from someone who is getting a stars from getting Es I would definitely say it is possible and do not stress over grades especially in year 12 because when you’re in year 13 everything will click in place and I was so close to dropping out of the economics so many times because I wasn’t getting the grades I wanted and I wasn’t getting marks I was getting3 out of 15 things like that I was getting very low marks and I think I contemplated dropping out about six times. I’m glad I didn’t because now I’m in a situation where I can say I’m getting those A- grades and so positive and you’ve got this
For those after context I have just found a post on student room which I have tagged below which would be really helpful for economics. I would definitely say look at the UK and world politics because a lot of economics context actually comes from politics itself.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7450941
Original post by mesub
Hey!
I'm in Year 2 of the Edexcel Economics A course.
My favourite part would probably be the labour market. My least favourite part would be Balance of Payments.
Hey, I'm Ilisha from Econominds. We have helped thousands of students reach A* grades. I have loads of videos on my tiktok answering questions but if you have any specific questions for the BOP, let me know and I'll try my best to help you now :smile:
Original post by kranon
Hey, I'm in year 12! Are there any tips or resources you could give me?
Would recommend our site Econominds too! We have lots of free resources on tiktok and our app has a free trial but the paid subscription includes all the content, videos, questions and a crash course monthly for students

Quick Reply

Latest