The Student Room Group

A-level Economics Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey, also in year 12 looking for tips or resources
Original post by Poppyvdk05
With regard to getting high marks context is key. I would definitely say for me. I drilled into one point and I evaluate that setpoint because my teacher always says for economics. You have to basically imagine you’re making tomato soup not vegetable soup so just putting tomatoes in to make the soup rather than putting all these different vegetables in and it actually really helped me as well and with the higher questions. If you have to evaluate imagine you’re blowing up a balloon And then when you have to counter that point and conclude your bursting the balloon and it’s although they are quite weird and allergies they do help a lot. I would also definitely recommend using a writing frame for economics because it helps a lot. Do you have a writing frame? I shove in year 12 when I was doing macro because I couldn’t get the points I was not sure about context I would definitely say get a notebook or make a word document. I’m write all the context you find you will find that the more you look into economics and the more you study the more you see in day-to-day life. I also found it for micro you don’t always have to use real life context. I sometimes use examples like supermarkets or restaurants or Cafes and you can also do the same for macro if you’ve gotthings like VAT, you can make up percentages as a way of giving an example if you can’t always think of the context because sometimes context is really difficult. I do find context is more difficult for micro in terms of world contact so I will definitely say make sure that you have some that you can make up and plan out questions that is the one thing that got me and a star is planning out questions I am in year 13, I haven’t done my exams yet, but when I’ve had my questions marked my first question I ever did I got an E and the first top marker I did was on a 25 marker I have not done before and I got an a star so I would definitely recommend planning. My teacher actually said to our class if you plan up your questions, I just hand in plans and more plans the questions don’t always tend to change the wording tend to change but the basis around them are very similar so definitely practice questions for macro graphs. They may be a nightmare but definitely have a couple graphs you know. I hope this helps and if you’ve got any more questions feel free to let me know and I will reply as soon as I can.
Hey, It is Ilisha from Econominds. A great tip I give my students is to use SPEQ to help them get top marks for a diagram. Did you know that diagrams are the easiest way to maximise your analysis marks and by using the technique above, it allows you to get full marks when explaining a diagram, provided you have drawn the right diagram. So SPEQ means, shift, price, equilibrium, and quantity. So, if you talk about all those things in a diagram, then it will get you full marks.
Original post by Mark-n
Hey, also in year 12 looking for tips or resources
Websites:
https://www.economicshelp.org
https://www.learn-economics.co.uk
https://www.mrbanks.co.uk

Youtube Accounts:
Econpludal
Biz-onomics (mainly for paper 3)
Life of Pari (essay writing tips. she has some model answers in a google doc in the discription box)

Wider Reading:
follow some twitter accounts. I recommend:
@/eonplusdal
@/bbcnews
@/ONS
@/faisalislam
@fteconomics
@/SchoeyEconomics
@/dsmitheconomics
(turn on notifications so you're constantly up to date)

Wishin you all the best. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Hopefully this makes it easier for you. You've got this :smile:
Hey guys. I completely forgot to post the writing frame I said i would post for econ which I use for my answers.
Economics Writing Framework (for 9, 15 and 25 marker paragraphs)
(AO1) Point 1 (use the question): One option/issue/factor/reason/ to consider is ________________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
(AO2) Evidence: The story/data/figures state (quote as appropriate) OR An example of this could be when _________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
(AO1/2/3) Analysis in context: This means that _________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ because (refer to theory/diagram/context as appropriate) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
This could/should/does/did lead to (great to refer to diagram here!) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ for ______________________ because (theory/diagram/context) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
(Optional Stretch? More diagram?): This is particularly important in this case because _____________________ could have an impact on _______________________ because _________________________.
Link (refer to question): Therefore, eventually/in the long-run ____________________ will help/be important/be the new situation for ____________________ because (theory/context/more diagram) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

ONLY USE FOR 25 MARKERS AFTER EACH PARAGRAPH
(AO4) Mini-Evaluation (only 25-markers!): However, this will depend on/only happen/be effective/ be risky if _______________________ because _________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________.

paragraph 2 for 15 and 25 markers
(AO1) Point 2 (use the question): Another option/issue/factor/reason to consider is ______________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
(AO2) Evidence: The story/data/figures state (quote as appropriate) OR An example of this could be when _________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
(AO1/2/3) Analysis in context: This means that _________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ because (refer to theory/diagram/context as appropriate) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
This could/should/does/did lead to (great to refer to diagram here!) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ for ______________________ because (theory/diagram/context) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
(Optional Stretch? More diagram?): This is particularly important in this case because _____________________ could have an impact on _______________________ because _________________________.
Link (refer to question): Therefore, eventually/in the long-run ____________________ will help/be important/be the new situation for ____________________ because (theory/context/more diagram) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

ONLY USE FOR 25 MARKERS
(AO4) Mini-Evaluation (only 25-markers!): However, this will depend on/only happen/be effective/ be risky if _______________________ because _________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________.

CONCLUSION - ONLY USE FOR 25 MARKERS
(AO4/AO3) Decide (only 25-markers!!): Overall, _________________ is the best option/most important factor/strategy (refer to question).
This is because ___________________________ matters more than ________________________ because of ______________________ ________________________________________________________.
It depends on: This depends on/would only work if/in a situation like _________________________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
Short vs Long-Term: In the short-term/At first, __________________ _________________________________will lead to/happen because ________________________________________________________.
However, in the long-term __________________________________ should result in ____________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
Cost: The cost of this action/policy/decision/strategy could/will be _______________________________________________ because/if ________________________________________________________.
Opportunity Cost (Stretch): The opportunity cost of choosing __________________________ is ____________________________ because ________________________________________________.
Most importantly: The most important factor/evidence to consider in this situation is ____________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
Reminders:
* Feel free to vary your words or sentences as you like as long as the same overall meaning exists.
** Use Economics terminology and theory with context throughout your answer to add depth and take your answer to the next ‘level’.
*** Make links between topics taught across the course to assess the impacts of your arguments.
****Refer to any fully-labelled and accurate diagrams used!!
Hey guys. I completely forgot to post the writing frame I said i would post for econ which I use for my answers.
(AO1) Point 1 (use the question): One option/issue/factor/reason/ to consider is ________________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
(AO1) Point 2 (use the question): Another option/issue/factor/reason to consider is ______________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
ONLY USE FOR 25 MARKERS
(AO4/AO3) Decide (only 25-markers!!): Overall, _________________ is the best option/most important factor/strategy (refer to question).
This is because ___________________________ matters more than ________________________ because of ______________________ ________________________________________________________.
It depends on: This depends on/would only work if/in a situation like _________________________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
Short vs Long-Term: In the short-term/At first, __________________ _________________________________will lead to/happen because ________________________________________________________.
However, in the long-term __________________________________ should result in ____________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
Cost: The cost of this action/policy/decision/strategy could/will be _______________________________________________ because/if ________________________________________________________.
Opportunity Cost (Stretch): The opportunity cost of choosing __________________________ is ____________________________ because ________________________________________________.
Most importantly: The most important factor/evidence to consider in this situation is ____________________________________ because ________________________________________________________.
Reminders:
* Feel free to vary your words or sentences as you like as long as the same overall meaning exists.
** Use Economics terminology and theory with context throughout your answer to add depth and take your answer to the next ‘level’.
*** Make links between topics taught across the course to assess the impacts of your arguments.

you're a star💙🫶
(edited 3 weeks ago)
ONLY USE FOR 25 MARKERS
Reminders:

How does one use a resource like this?
This is a great thread, thank you. So nice we can all help each other. I’m really struggling with all the micro diagrams atm
Original post by kranon
Hey, I'm in year 12! Are there any tips or resources you could give me?

hi please priv message me x I have notes on all four themes x
I have one that I wrote and got marked if you want me to attach that one. I got 22/25 on and then with the improvements which were in green I got 25. It is AQA that my exam board is for though so is that the one you have?

Hi !! could I pls read it 🙂 :tongue:p
Honestly, no worries whatsoever, I struggled so much, but I just wish that I had someone to help me but I’m here to help because I feel like this is what I needed last year and even if this goes for anyone even if you are getting really low grades, you can’t turn it around very easily. I saw that there was a student who had an E in the exam in year 12 and the end of year 12 they went to a B and then they ended up getting a star they actual exam and that’s when I realise that I can do it from someone who is getting a stars from getting Es I would definitely say it is possible and do not stress over grades especially in year 12 because when you’re in year 13 everything will click in place and I was so close to dropping out of the economics so many times because I wasn’t getting the grades I wanted and I wasn’t getting marks I was getting3 out of 15 things like that I was getting very low marks and I think I contemplated dropping out about six times. I’m glad I didn’t because now I’m in a situation where I can say I’m getting those A- grades and so positive and you’ve got this

Hi !! oh my gosh my story w econ is literally identical ,, I really struggle to figure how to acc answer 25 markers like what I should make my points do you have any advice :smile:)
Honestly, no worries whatsoever, I struggled so much, but I just wish that I had someone to help me but I’m here to help because I feel like this is what I needed last year and even if this goes for anyone even if you are getting really low grades, you can’t turn it around very easily. I saw that there was a student who had an E in the exam in year 12 and the end of year 12 they went to a B and then they ended up getting a star they actual exam and that’s when I realise that I can do it from someone who is getting a stars from getting Es I would definitely say it is possible and do not stress over grades especially in year 12 because when you’re in year 13 everything will click in place and I was so close to dropping out of the economics so many times because I wasn’t getting the grades I wanted and I wasn’t getting marks I was getting3 out of 15 things like that I was getting very low marks and I think I contemplated dropping out about six times. I’m glad I didn’t because now I’m in a situation where I can say I’m getting those A- grades and so positive and you’ve got this

Hi !! oh my gosh my story w econ is literally identical ,, I really struggle to figure how to acc answer 25 markers like what I should make my points do you have any advice :smile:) I do aqa sorry im not sure if that's the board u do 🙂
Original post by Ad1t11111
Hi !! could I pls read it 🙂 :tongue:p

Of course let me find it
Of course let me find it

send it to me aswell pls
Hey guys just so you know econplusdal has posted hot topics for paper 1. I’m currently keeping an eye out for paper 2. For those doing aqa here is the link. Currently watching and it’s amazing https://youtu.be/Ch_l1uonWt8?si=w5xTdVf_y_tMyxfH
For those doing edexcel if you click the link and go to his home page it should be in there
Of course let me find it

Currently jsut waiting for my teacher to send it my way :smile:
Hey guys. So sorry for the delay. here is the 25 marker I did. I have attached it here so if you click the link it will show you it. It will have green lines through it. This is where I have improved it from notes my teacher wrote when he marked it. He has lost the diagram but it was explained in there.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/fg62g506dclfb6771mwkc/Evaluate-the-view-that-government-failure-means-that-government-intervention-in-amrkers-will-rarely-lead-to-an-improvement-in-economic-welfare-25-2.pdf?rlkey=jwek5q7019kvqgkrctdcme1sz&st=lu4zqtpc&dl=0
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level Economics Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.
A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?
Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hey, i am currently in year 12 and doing Cambridge syllabus and i'd really appreciate if anyone could share their solved essay questions so i can get a idea on how to use diagrams and where to use them etc

Quick Reply

Latest