The Student Room Group

I hate my math class so much (alevel)

I have been achieving As and A*s in maths all year round (I’m in yr13). But whenever I go to that class, I feel anxious. I’m an external student, whereas the majority are internals, yet I always feel belittled by the teacher.
These twins who I sit next to are always praised and compliments by the teacher because they always get full marks (they are internal students).
He always says ‘ask the twins for help’ or says to the twins ‘you don’t need my help I’m sure you’re fine’ and it just makes me feel so stupid. I literally get the same grade as them but the teacher always praises them as if they’re some sort of God.
Idk if it’s because I’m an external and I’m not known that much, and they’re internal so they probably knew the teacher before. But I just don’t like this feeling.
Especially because I want to do maths at uni.
I just feel like i don’t even want to ask my teacher with help for my personal statement.
There’s a few things going on here:

Firstly your anxiety - try taking a few deep breaths before entering class to settle your nerves. Build in your self esteem and confidence.

The teacher - make them tell you what you need to know and not other students. It is the teachers job to teach not the other students. Do be specific with the problem you need an answer to. If the teacher carries on passing the Buck try approaching another teacher or curriculum manager.

Try pre reading the class content before the class, to prepare you for questions you want to ask.

It’s ok to change teachers if you don’t get on with the one you have.

Quick Reply

Latest