The Student Room Group

Stuck and behind in life

i feel so behind in life i am still at uni and have no driving license, no job, no future partner, struggling with health and major family problems. i'm trying so hard but feels like i'm not getting anywhere due to lack of support. Currently on a gap year having to retake a module.

Any motivational advice to make the best out of this year would be great!
Thankyou
Original post by Anonymous
i feel so behind in life i am still at uni and have no driving license, no job, no future partner, struggling with health and major family problems. i'm trying so hard but feels like i'm not getting anywhere due to lack of support. Currently on a gap year having to retake a module.

Any motivational advice to make the best out of this year would be great!
Thankyou

Uni is probably the last most favourable place to find a partner. So I would recommend finding someone whilst you're still at uni. After that it's an uphill battle unless you can network really really well.

Getting a driving license isn't particularly challenging - it's more about booking the tests.

For mental health and family problems, you probably need to see a counsellor. General health problems require doctors.
If you're talking about general fitness, then getting into shape doesn't take eons. Set a 3 month deadline (6 weeks if you're really desperate). Either get on a fitness program (for like £30-50) or get a personal trainer at a local gym. I don't know what your fitness goals are, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything.

If you want some life coaching program, then Tony Robbins is pretty good for this - Ultimate Edge is pretty good for general life advice and general motivation (get it second hand on eBay or somewhere), but if you want something more specific and tailored to your specific situation you would need to be more a lot more specific.
If you're looking for a life coach for general problems in life, you can either find one online or use a local directory. Some can be cheap and some a lot more expensive. The important thing is that the life coach gets you to get the results that you want.

If you're retaking a module, do you know why you scored tthe grade you did? Do you know what you would need to do so this won't happen again?

If you need a set schedule or a better working environment, then these are probably your first go to. Decide on up to 3 goals to work on each day and arrange blocks of time for them. I recommend exercise first thing in the morning, studying during late morning until afternoon, then personal stuff in the everning. After every week, review your week and progress i.e. journalling; this works particularly well for before and after fitness photos for your own reference. I would review how much closer you are to your goal, and if you're not any closer what actions you would need to take to move closer to those goals.

If you need a support group, there are plenty on Meetup and Facebook. There might be some at your local uni or town/city. I don't know your location, so I am hestitant to comment, but there are plenty out there generally. Normally people would go to places of worship or local communities as a means of building communities. This is usually where the elder generations get their support from. It's a little disappointing that we lost this over the decades with the more recent generations.

I don't know what your specific problems are, so it's difficult to point you in specific directions.

Quick Reply

Latest