The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do at uni.

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice on what to study at uni. I finished my A levels in 2022 (studied lit, religious studies and history getting A*AB) and applied for a teaching course for 2023, as I had planned to learn to drive and get some job experience in my gap year. However 2023 has not been my year to say the least as some personal events occurred and I struggled to get a job but did start driving lessons as I would be commuting to uni.
In August my mental health was the worst it has ever been and I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety after having multiple panic attacks over silly things like any emails from uni about forms and placements. I started medication and I will be starting counselling in a few weeks. I asked the wellbeing team at the uni for advice and she said it was worth considering withdrawing and re-applying through UCAS when I am ready. So I did withdraw and sorted all the student finance stuff out.
Right now I've been applying to jobs, including teaching assistant as I'm having doubts about choosing teaching at uni. I want to get more experience before anything.
My other idea has been studying history/archaeology as this has always been one of my passions.
Sorry this has been more of a long rant! I think I just need some advice on what I should do, like should I apply to uni again this year for 2024 entry for teaching or history or wait to see if I get this teaching assistant job?
Reply 1
Apply to get a sense of the aplication process and to give yourself alot of options by the end of the next year to decide
I'm in the same boat as you, you're not alone!

You have plenty of options ahead of you, and if you're not sure, explore those passions during this year and see where it takes you!

There's no harm in applying for uni and waiting on this exciting job offer- so long as it does not overwhelm you applying for a job and uni both. But getting a job/the work experience will look great on, not only your CV, but also to uni's you're potentially considering.

I would stress though really thinking about how you'll feel living on your own if you're planning to live away from home. Do you get homesick? How do you think you will cope with your Mental Health? Is definitely something to consider. Ring up University's and see what support systems they have in place for students such as yourself.

I hope things get easier regarding your mental health, this is such a big change to your life- so don't be too hard on yourself! Take things a day at a time, and remember, this is your life. There is no rush to do anything!

Wishing you all the best for your future.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in the same boat as you, you're not alone!

You have plenty of options ahead of you, and if you're not sure, explore those passions during this year and see where it takes you!

There's no harm in applying for uni and waiting on this exciting job offer- so long as it does not overwhelm you applying for a job and uni both. But getting a job/the work experience will look great on, not only your CV, but also to uni's you're potentially considering.

I would stress though really thinking about how you'll feel living on your own if you're planning to live away from home. Do you get homesick? How do you think you will cope with your Mental Health? Is definitely something to consider. Ring up University's and see what support systems they have in place for students such as yourself.

I hope things get easier regarding your mental health, this is such a big change to your life- so don't be too hard on yourself! Take things a day at a time, and remember, this is your life. There is no rush to do anything!

Wishing you all the best for your future.

Thank you for your reply, I'm glad to know others feel the same! I think I will apply soon, not sure what for yet but I'm hoping to find some more volunteering this year!
Thank you for your kind words especially not rushing! I think I'm used to doing everything all at once.
I hope everything goes well for you too!
Reply 4
Original post by greenamy2
Apply to get a sense of the aplication process and to give yourself alot of options by the end of the next year to decide

Thank you for your advice I am thinking of applying soon to see my options on UCAS!

Quick Reply

Latest