The Student Room Group

PSA: Do NOT buy the ti-84 for A-Levels

The ti-84 completely LACKS an exact maths engine, e.g. if you enter sqrt(72) you will get 8.45 and NOT 6sqrt(2). Obviously for this calculation you can use the TABLE function with y=72/x^2 (as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TI_Calculators/comments/5956gx/how_do_i_simplify_roots_on_a_ti84_plus_ce/dbvu2li/)

However! This means that for the polynomial solver (polysmlt2 on the official TI website if you reset the calculator) you will not get your answers in exact form and therefore, certain questions will be ostensibly impossible unless you are willing to spend 50 minutes doing it manually.

If you NEED a TI calculator and not a casio because you are quirky like that, the french ti-83 premium ce will likely be fine, but you obviously will need to change the language from french and read the french legends on the keys.
Most graphical calculators solve polynomials using Newton-Raphson anyways so they will not get perfect answers to begin with on the polynomial solvers
Reply 2
Very true! However, casio calculators like the fx991 and cg50, that are designed for a-level spec have built in quadratic, qubic and quartic solvers, that can output exact values outside of the graphing function. Also, there are many exact trig values, and while yes, you can use autocalc to find them or just remember them, it is very slow and autocalc can just plain treat a value as a decimal and refuse to find its exact form.

I made the mistake of purchasing a ti84+CSE so I have bought an fx-991CW to use alongside it, might sell the ti84 and buy a CG-20 for cheaper.
Original post by Can'tDecideAName
Most graphical calculators solve polynomials using Newton-Raphson anyways so they will not get perfect answers to begin with on the polynomial solvers

Quick Reply

Latest