The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths Calculator

Which calculator is best for CIE Cambridge International A-Level Examinations? Is the Casio FX-991ES Plus suitable?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BobbJo
Which calculator is best for CIE Cambridge International A-Level Examinations? The "CASIO FX-991ES PLUS" ?

Yes that calculator is fine (and I recommend it) for CIE A Level.
Original post by BobbJo
Which calculator is best for CIE Cambridge International A-Level Examinations? The "CASIO FX-991ES PLUS" ?

That calculator is fine.
Some people decide to invest in a graphical calculator but in my opinion they are not worth the extra cost for the marginal benefit they offer if you are just doing maths. If you are doing further maths they are still not essential but I would do some research on graphical calculators your teacher recommends.
Original post by BobbJo

Scientific calculators tend to answer everything
Original post by Notnek
Yes that calculator is fine (and I recommend it) for CIE A Level.

A video recommends the Casio Classwiz fx-570EX. Would you recommend it over the FX-991ES Plus?

Also is it suitable for Further Maths A Level?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BobbJo
This video recommends the Casio Classwiz fx-570EX (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcbAaLlXTVg)

Also is it suitable for Further Maths A Level too?

For the UK A Level the Classwiz is recommended (FX-991ES is not sufficient).

But the OP is talking about CIE International A Level and the FX-991ES is sufficient for this.

EDIT: I just realised that you are the OP :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
The human brain!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
For the UK A Level the Classwiz is recommended (FX-991ES is not sufficient).

But the OP is talking about CIE International A Level and the FX-991ES is sufficient for this.

Which one should I get if I'm also doing CIE International A Level Further Maths? The 2020 syllabus doesn't allow graphical calculators anymore for FM. Thank you so much for your help. (The Classwiz is allowed for CIE International A Level, right?)
Reply 8
Original post by BobbJo
Which one should I get if I'm also doing CIE International A Level Further Maths? The 2020 syllabus doesn't allow graphical calculators anymore for FM. Thank you so much for your help. (The Classwiz is allowed for CIE International A Level, right?)

The fx-991ES is fine but so is the Classwiz. The Classwiz is more expensive which is why I recommend the fx-991ES because it will have everything that you need. But it's up to you.
you can buy a decent casio on the interwebs for less than a tenner:

tsrbigcalcbling2.jpg

or at a car boot sale for £1 or £2.
Original post by Notnek
The fx-991ES is fine but so is the Classwiz. The Classwiz is more expensive which is why I recommend the fx-991ES because it will have everything that you need. But it's up to you.

Thanks a lot for your help! :smile:
Original post by BobbJo
The 2020 syllabus doesn't allow graphical calculators anymore for FM.

The use of most graphical calculators is still permitted. The same existing regulations apply, ie they must not be capable of symbolic algebraic manipulation or calculus. (I'm not saying you should get one, just that it's allowed if you feel there will be a benefit)
Original post by gdunne42
The use of most graphical calculators is still permitted. The same existing regulations apply, ie they must not be capable of symbolic algebraic manipulation or calculus. (I'm not saying you should get one, just that it's allowed if you feel there will be a benefit)

I think that it depends on your exam board but according to the CIE Further Maths Syllabus 2020, it's not permitted
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BobbJo
I think that it depends on your exam board but according to this (http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/images/414957-2020-2022-syllabus.pdf Page 29/51), it's not permitted for CIE International A level (further maths)

I agree the wording is a bit ambiguous, the interpretation of the CIE requirement has been Not permitted IF they are capable of symbolic algebraic manipulation or symbolic differentiation or integration.
Meaning if it can't do this it is permitted.
Most graphic calculators can't, its generally the more expensive CAS models that are prohibited.
If in doubt, check by asking CIE directly through their web site.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
you can buy a decent casio on the interwebs for less than a tenner:

tsrbigcalcbling2.jpg

Is that your password, bear?
Original post by gdunne42
I agree the wording is a bit ambiguous, the interpretation of the CIE requirement has been Not permitted IF they are capable of symbolic algebraic manipulation or symbolic differentiation or integration.
Meaning if it can't do this it is permitted.
Most graphic calculators can't, its generally the more expensive CAS models that are prohibited.
If in doubt, check by asking CIE directly through their web site.

Thank you!
I have a classwiz and honestly, it's a lot better than the casio fx-991es plus. i guess it just depends on whether u want to invest that money or not. if ur school says the casio fx-991es is fine, then it should be fine.
Original post by Doonesbury
Is that your password, bear?

you know how to find out don't you :teehee:
Reply 18
Hi! Is the TI-84 Plus Pocket SE usable for the CIE International A Level?
Reply 19
Any kind soul could enlighten me regarding whether the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, or the TI-84 Plus CE, is permitted for CIE A Level Mathematics (9709, and last examination in 2019)?

Thanks a ton! >< :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest