The Student Room Group

Should I take a year out before doing a mental-health nursing degree?

I'm 29 years old, and I've done nothing with my life. When I was 16 I developed severe OCD and depression. I also had a toxic relationship with my Mum. I had CBT for a few years. It didn't help, at the time, because I wasn't being honest. I have had OCD since the age of 12/13, but I was 16 when it got worse. I passed 9 of my GCSE's- 2 A's, 1 B and 6 C's. First, I went to college to do Art. I wasn't very good, was extremely self concious and had unrealistic goals. I finished with a pass. I then completed a subsidiary (one year) Level 3 diploma in health and Social Care, which I was rewarded at grade Merit. I got my better grades in working with young people and children, health and nutrition and equality and diversity. It was then that I developed an interest in mental-health. Mainly, because I had my own struggles, and I wanted to find out what was wrong with me. I didn't continue onto the second year, because I wasn't very well. Due to my intrusive thoughts I couldn't be around people or barely leave my bedroom. Doing anything seemed impossible. I pretty much spent my days isolated, writing lists, sleeping and watching YouTube videos (LGBT+ and mental health). I had a few jobs- in health care, cleaning, and customer service. However, I struggled to hold any down for longer than a month. My longest job was when I was between 18-19 years old. It was for a year and a half, and at McDonalds. I had family therapy between this time, but again this solved nothing, because I couldn't be honest.
Reply 1
I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've faced. It's important to remember that everyone's journey is unique, and it's never too late to make positive changes. Consider seeking therapy again, being honest this time, to address your mental health issues. Engage in physical activities like sports or exercise to release stress. Explore career options that align with your interests, and take small steps toward your goals. Surround yourself with a supportive network, and remember that progress is possible with persistence and self-compassion.

Quick Reply

Latest