The Student Room Group

Bad day every other day - Uni vs Mental Health

I suppose this is more of a rant that I need to get out without worrying my loved ones, but I would still appreciate any sort of guidance.

I moved to Uni last week for the first time. It's been a totally emotional rollercoaster.

The first two days were terrible. I couldn't eat properly and was only getting about 8 hours of sleep total over 48 hours. Miserable. I've had a really hard time adjusting and feel so lost, confused and honestly frightened. I'm still struggling to get three meals a day in.

I've had major battles with my mental health, but none have been this severe since I was 13. I feel like I am severely overreacting and honestly feel like I am being a baby. It's so hard juggling with your self-esteem when you're telling yourself that you can't do this, and I just don't know what to do.

My dear friends, and one in particular, has been looking out for me and has been truly amazing support. But I feel so guilty, I ask him not to worry or message me yet he still does and insists it doesn't bother him. I don't know what I've done to deserve him, and without him, I honestly would've left by now.

But I'm scared that if I leave, I'll regret this decision, disappoint not only my dear friend, but my family - who were so excited for me to begin this journey. I'm also scared of the hypotheticals if I do decide to leave, or do not - finding a job (if I leave), having bad days like this again (if I stay).

I've been ringing my family once or twice every other day, and they've been totally supportive (and, shamefully, I have been worrying them - which i feel beyond guilty about), offering to get me if I needed or to 'take things a day at a time'. Which has brought a bit of comfort.

Now here where it gets confusing. Yesterday, was a bearable day, I was feeling alright and excited. But today, I've woken up totally anxious and disheartened. I always feel homesick and frightened when I first wake up. I don't know what's going on with me. I have a phone call with my student advisor tomorrow who I hope will offer me advice or send me in the direction of where I can get some.

I'm indecisive, anxious and totally homesick. I don't know what to do. It's dreadful and I can't get my mind in order, and whilst I know I need to learn to live away from home, I just feel like this experience has made it somewhat traumatic for me to do so.

I feel like this goes a lot deeper than homesickness. Or, maybe I'm overreacting. I know everyone goes through something similar but when I'm told this it just makes me feel worse.

I'm sorry. I'm desperate and don't know what to do.

Thanks for reading.
Have you spoken with your GP about your experiences? As they may be able to recommend ways to help manage things better.
Reply 2
Sorry to hear you are having a tough time.

Nobody can tell you what is best for you but hopefully you can make a decision.

Bear in mind that if you go home, you will presumably need to find a job unless your parents can support you (as otherwise life on benefits will be tough).

Maybe get as much support as you can and give it a bit longer? Do you think you may settle in?

Look after your mental health.

Easy to lose it. Can be harder to get it back.

Don't worry about disappointing family. Focus on yourself.

Not everyone is ready for university.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest