The Student Room Group

extra time in exams

over the past few months i’ve been struggling with extreme anxiety and depression, and i’m currently seeing a therapist and gp where hopefully i can start medication soon. i just always feel so down and awful all the time which is really affecting my sixth form performance as i’ve considered just dropping out a few times because i generally don’t know how i can go on like this for another 9 months lol
does anyone know if i’ll be able to qualify for any access arrangements in exams like extra time or rest breaks if i get a note from a gp/ psychiatrist about my mental health?
Original post by Anonymous
over the past few months i’ve been struggling with extreme anxiety and depression, and i’m currently seeing a therapist and gp where hopefully i can start medication soon. i just always feel so down and awful all the time which is really affecting my sixth form performance as i’ve considered just dropping out a few times because i generally don’t know how i can go on like this for another 9 months lol
does anyone know if i’ll be able to qualify for any access arrangements in exams like extra time or rest breaks if i get a note from a gp/ psychiatrist about my mental health?

Hey! I'm so sorry you feel that way :frown:. I know exactly how you feel. I have dealt with anxiety and depression myself, my self-esteem was always so low, I'd always bottle up my feelings and never share anything cus I felt like a burden to others. I overcame this by turning back to God and understanding how to take control over my mind- which is very powerful btw. Just a lil advice, taking meds does have its benefits but relying on them all the time can have counter effects.

If you dont mind me asking, what type of depression and anxiety do you face? social anxiety? worried abt school? Family? You dont have to answer this if you dont want to :smile: This is to see if I can be of any help.

If your school is accommodating, I'm sure they'd understand and give you some space to do your exams. I'm not 100% sure but depending on the severity of the situation, they might let you have breaks in between your exams but they might not give extra time to make it fair for all students. If you get what I am saying?

Have a good day or night! Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest