The Student Room Group

Who will win the next general election in Canada

I am just curious who do you guys think will win the next general election in Canada?
As things stand, the Conservatives.
Reply 2
Original post by SHallowvale
As things stand, the Conservatives.

Somebody told me this as well online. They said Trudeau was losing a some of his popularity. I do not really know the reason not having followed canadian politics. But I seem to recall that it is the old mantra "the economy, stupid!" etc.
Reply 3
Original post by michaelhw
Somebody told me this as well online. They said Trudeau was losing a some of his popularity. I do not really know the reason not having followed canadian politics. But I seem to recall that it is the old mantra "the economy, stupid!" etc.

Trudeau lost that after his first term when the liberals realised he was'nt much better than Macron.

I don't see much reason to go against the prior two elections. The Conservatives will win the popular vote but the Liberals will likely win a plurality of seats.
Whoever wins,the canadian still lose.
Reply 5
Pierre would be a good win. Their current PM being such an unspeakably dislikeable and incompetent individual. He even makes MAcron seem a reasonable, levelheaded and fair leader.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Trudeau lost that after his first term when the liberals realised he was'nt much better than Macron.

I don't see much reason to go against the prior two elections. The Conservatives will win the popular vote but the Liberals will likely win a plurality of seats.

Some of things that have made Macron unpopular seems utterly bisarre in my part of the world. The retirement age in France is lower than almost everywhere else? Macron is just readjusting it according to increased longevity (from when it was decided) and today's competition?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by michaelhw
Some of things that have made Macron unpopular seems utterly bisarre in my part of the world. The retirement age in France is lower than almost everywhere else? Macron is just readjusting it according to increased longevity (from when it was decided) and today's competition?

It makes sense when you consider that people don't act rationally, it's the reason why economic models don't work.

Most people think in relative terms and in their own self interest so raising the pension age is incurring an opportunity cost. Most people don't work for pleasure.

I'm somewhat sympathetic myself. I think by 60 most people are deteriorating.
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21
It makes sense when you consider that people don't act rationally, it's the reason why economic models don't work.

Most people think in relative terms and in their own self interest so raising the pension age is incurring an opportunity cost. Most people don't work for pleasure.

I'm somewhat sympathetic myself. I think by 60 most people are deteriorating.

I wrote a sort of humorous commentary about the point you are making many years ago. I posted it on my blog. That sort of disctinction that you are making is teleology working in between darwinism and social science on the one hand and associationsm on the other. "Pleasure and pain" versus rational acting based on outcomes. I compressed this into a conflict between a socalist and a child. I almost a socalist myself, though not communist or totalitarian.

https://historyradio.org/2017/02/07/commentary-children-of-the-world-unite/
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending