The Student Room Group

Advice for your First Year Self

Hey guys!

As university has started back up again, some of you may be going into your final year whilst some of you may be going into your first year! It is always an exciting but nerve-wracking time starting university, as you are beginning a brand new chapter in a brand new environment.

Please feel free to comment below what advice you would give to your first year self.

Mine would be to have a balance of studying and being social. We all have the tendency to prioritise one or the other, but there should be a balance!

Can't wait to hear your responses :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey guys!

As university has started back up again, some of you may be going into your final year whilst some of you may be going into your first year! It is always an exciting but nerve-wracking time starting university, as you are beginning a brand new chapter in a brand new environment.

Please feel free to comment below what advice you would give to your first year self.

Mine would be to have a balance of studying and being social. We all have the tendency to prioritise one or the other, but there should be a balance!

Can't wait to hear your responses :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

Hi Estelle,

Great piece of advice! I totally agree.

Mine would be to be kinder to myself during the first few months. Going to university can be overwhelming, as you said, its a brand new chapter in a brand new environment. I was excited, but alongside the excitement there was lots of anxiety and stress, but I'd compare myself to people who appeared so so happy and were living their best life. I didn't understand why I couldn't be like them, but the comparing made me even more stressed. Looking back now (4 years on which makes me feel so old:smile:), if I was kinder and more patient with myself I probably would have settled in a lot easier and had a less nerve-wracking first few months.

If you're feeling anxious about this new change, it's ok! Be kind to yourself and you should find yourself settling in a lot better:smile:

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending