The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Cuthberts, Trevs or Mary's for No 1 spot on my college ranking?

Hi all, I recently received an offer for English Lit at Durham next year! I've narrowed down Cuth's Trev's and Mary's as the three I want to go to the most, yet I'm not too sure which to put first for my number 1 choice. Any advice or insights?
Thanks!
Original post by Will245
Hi all, I recently received an offer for English Lit at Durham next year! I've narrowed down Cuth's Trev's and Mary's as the three I want to go to the most, yet I'm not too sure which to put first for my number 1 choice. Any advice or insights?
Thanks!
Hi there

Congratulations on your offer- those are all great college choices!

In terms of differences, you might want to look at the following:

Marys and Trevs are gowned colleges while Cuths is not. It doesn't make that big of a difference but if you prefer gowns, you might want to rank the first two higher up.

Marys and Trevs are both fully catered while Cuths has a self-catered block at Parsons Field. If allocated to Cuths, you'll get the chance to choose whether you want the catered or the self-catered block but sometimes you may not be allocated to your preferred block. This is something to keep in mind when ranking your choices. Although even if you get self-catered, Cuths allows you to select a meal package and dine in college.

The JCR membership prices vary for each college- £126 for Marys, £140 for Trevs, £160 for Cuths. These are optional costs but in case you wish to buy it, check them against your budget.

Look into their other facilities- For instance, if you're considering joining the gym, maybe look into how big they are and what machines they have. Cuths' gym membership price is included within the JCR levy so you won't have to pay separately, it's £20 for Marys and £30 for Trevs.

They will also have different bursaries and scholarships- College and Department Scholarships

You can also check out student content on @thedurhamstudent Tiktok and Instagram which showcases events like college balls, formals and college days. I'd recommend reading these student blogs too which explain what life is like in that specific college:
Life at St. Mary's College
Life at Trevs

Hope this helps :smile:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there
Congratulations on your offer- those are all great college choices!
In terms of differences, you might want to look at the following:

Marys and Trevs are gowned colleges while Cuths is not. It doesn't make that big of a difference but if you prefer gowns, you might want to rank the first two higher up.

Marys and Trevs are both fully catered while Cuths has a self-catered block at Parsons Field. If allocated to Cuths, you'll get the chance to choose whether you want the catered or the self-catered block but sometimes you may not be allocated to your preferred block. This is something to keep in mind when ranking your choices. Although even if you get self-catered, Cuths allows you to select a meal package and dine in college.

The JCR membership prices vary for each college- £126 for Marys, £140 for Trevs, £160 for Cuths. These are optional costs but in case you wish to buy it, check them against your budget.

Look into their other facilities- For instance, if you're considering joining the gym, maybe look into how big they are and what machines they have. Cuths' gym membership price is included within the JCR levy so you won't have to pay separately, it's £20 for Marys and £30 for Trevs.

They will also have different bursaries and scholarships- College and Department Scholarships

You can also check out student content on @thedurhamstudent Tiktok and Instagram which showcases events like college balls, formals and college days. I'd recommend reading these student blogs too which explain what life is like in that specific college:
Life at St. Mary's College
Life at Trevs

Hope this helps :smile:
-Himieka
Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest