The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews

Is St Andrews easy to find accommodation?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by VRoy

Lol no.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by VRoy

It can be tricky, so sometimes people live somewhere else in fife such as Leuchars or they live in Dundee and commute
Reply 3
Thank you. So its only 1 year in student accommodation, and then you need to find a shared house?
Original post by Anonymous
It can be tricky, so sometimes people live somewhere else in fife such as Leuchars or they live in Dundee and commute
Original post by VRoy
Thank you. So its only 1 year in student accommodation, and then you need to find a shared house?

You can reapply for student accommodation but it is very hard to get a place so it is far more common to find a shared house in St A, Dundee, Luchars, Cupar or a few other places in Fife.
Reply 5
Original post by VRoy

Actually it’s a slightly different picture this year- there are a lot of empty rooms in halls (50+ in some) and a lot of Second Year + students are living in university halls (some who thought they’d have to live elsewhere were contacted by the Accommodation Service & offered rooms)
Anecdotally it’s due to a large number of offer holders missing their A level offer grades last summer. St Andrews don’t do Clearing and it sounds like they only accepted a small number of near misses.
I wonder too if the well documented accommodation issues are making the university more cautious to alleviate the pressure
Original post by Astongirl
Actually it’s a slightly different picture this year- there are a lot of empty rooms in halls (50+ in some) and a lot of Second Year + students are living in university halls (some who thought they’d have to live elsewhere were contacted by the Accommodation Service & offered rooms)
Anecdotally it’s due to a large number of offer holders missing their A level offer grades last summer. St Andrews don’t do Clearing and it sounds like they only accepted a small number of near misses.
I wonder too if the well documented accommodation issues are making the university more cautious to alleviate the pressure

A lot of those empty rooms are being used for private accommodation for the public not students. I know a building in DRA is being used for this and I imagine it's the same for other accommodations.
Original post by _Rusty_
A lot of those empty rooms are being used for private accommodation for the public not students. I know a building in DRA is being used for this and I imagine it's the same for other accommodations.

I'm still hearing of students being given rooms in halls at this point in the semester - not just DRA either. They're definitely still placing students, not just holding empty rooms as private accoms.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm still hearing of students being given rooms in halls at this point in the semester - not just DRA either. They're definitely still placing students, not just holding empty rooms as private accoms.

Yeah you're right and the do hold some rooms swell for emergency moves. But rooms are also kept for private accommodation aswell
Reply 9
I guess the best idea is to sort out where you’ll live in year 2 (and who with) as early on in 1st year as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending