The Student Room Group

friends at uni

I am rlly struggling to find people who interest me on my course. so far, ppl are shocked by how genuinely passionate I am and aren't as interested as I am. I could spend all day discussing my course subject area and not get bored. I just feel no real connection w anyone i've met so far.
Original post by Anonymous
I am rlly struggling to find people who interest me on my course. so far, ppl are shocked by how genuinely passionate I am and aren't as interested as I am. I could spend all day discussing my course subject area and not get bored. I just feel no real connection w anyone i've met so far.

What course are you doing?

Hey there!

I really wouldn't see this as a negative thing. Your enthusiasm will get you far because you're genuinely interested in what you do so you'll want to put in that extra effort to do the work. If you'd like to make connections based on your subject area then I would suggest looking at clubs and societies that you can join that share the same interests. For example if you're studying computer science for example, have a look at any IT societies where you can meet like-minded people who share the same passion for the subject as you do. Sometimes you will find that uni students are in love with what they do, however they don't really show it or with it being so early in the term they haven't come out of their shells yet. Just keep showing a keen interest and attending lectures and you should be on the right track. I always found by showing a keen interest in a particular subject or module, the lecturer would end up noticing and offering me key readings and things to read up on that helped me towards my grade for that module.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
I felt the same on my course, I seemed to be interested in the lessons and such when others would just mess around. Especially in first year in the first few weeks most didn’t care but once it sets in, you’ll start to see them care more.
I only had one friend that was on my course. But I found other people that studied other courses and got along with them as they were as passionate as me about their course.

You'll find your people soon, just make sure you’re actively going to events, parties and such to meet those people :smile:

Hey!

I understand this is probably really frustrating, but as someone who has finished their undergrad, I know that you'll meet so many different people throughout your time at uni. To be honest, I found most of the friends I've made (and had the longest-lasting friendships with) have actually just been people I met naturally on my course through classes and group work. Obviously, you won't always relate to everyone you meet on your course, but I'm sure you will find some people who are just as passionate as you!

I wouldn't stress too much, it's early days! You still have 3 years left of uni, so try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending