The Student Room Group

Going back to uni after the Christmas holidays

Hi do I’ve had almost 5 weeks off for Christmas finished uni and came properly home on December 22nd and not going back till the 29th of January so I’ve had a long time off. I really do not wanna go back anymore I love being at home working full time and seeing my friends from home and never being bored I’m always busy either working or seeing people here. I prefer my friends at home I just gel better with them they’re my people and I love spending time with them. I have made friends at uni who are all really nice and I do enjoy spending time with them I just don’t look forward to it as much as I do spending time with my home friends. I don’t get along with all of my flatmates and I hate coming back to being in the flat alone and bored some nights as I have no one to talk to I never really sit alone in my room when I’m home so doing this is a struggle. During my first term I came home most weekends because a lot of my friends didn’t go to uni so are still at home and would be planning on doing things and I didn’t want to miss out. My boyfriend also lives back home so I liked to see him every week too. I feel really unsettled at uni and I start placement when I go back which I’m also scared for I don’t know whether it’s best for me to carry on or drop out
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

I believe you should prioritise your well-being.

If university is putting you through too much stress and you are not enjoying it while you love being back home and working there, choose the option which obviously makes you happier.

You have a job and friends you clearly love and who bring out the best in you.

Although university may open many doors for you, there is still time to go back to it.

If you are happy where you are and what you do, why pressure yourself to do something or be somewhere you strongly dislike.

I hope you will choose the option that is best for you!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by miawez123
Hi do I’ve had almost 5 weeks off for Christmas finished uni and came properly home on December 22nd and not going back till the 29th of January so I’ve had a long time off. I really do not wanna go back anymore I love being at home working full time and seeing my friends from home and never being bored I’m always busy either working or seeing people here. I prefer my friends at home I just gel better with them they’re my people and I love spending time with them. I have made friends at uni who are all really nice and I do enjoy spending time with them I just don’t look forward to it as much as I do spending time with my home friends. I don’t get along with all of my flatmates and I hate coming back to being in the flat alone and bored some nights as I have no one to talk to I never really sit alone in my room when I’m home so doing this is a struggle. During my first term I came home most weekends because a lot of my friends didn’t go to uni so are still at home and would be planning on doing things and I didn’t want to miss out. My boyfriend also lives back home so I liked to see him every week too. I feel really unsettled at uni and I start placement when I go back which I’m also scared for I don’t know whether it’s best for me to carry on or drop out

Hi @miawez123 ,

This sounds tough and i know it can be hard going back to uni after a long break.

I would also say that your happiness and well being is the priority and you need to ensure you are doing well in order to do your best at uni!
Is your uni far away from your house? I would suggest to try and get your friends to come to you sometimes and stay at your flat and go on a night out/ for food or whatever you like to do as this may make you feel a bit more settled at uni and it also means you can spend time with your home friends and uni friends in your uni city and it may make you feel like you aren't missing out. Or see if your boyfriend will come to visit you too.

Starting a new placement in itself can be scary, let alone if you are already feeling down but try not to worry too much about it and see if you can ask anybody for any advice on going to placement.

I would say to go back and see how it is for a couple of weeks as you may find you start to enjoy yourself a bit more than you did last term. If not, you could always consider transferring uni to your home town and living at home as like I said, your happiness is a priority!

I hope some of this helps,
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending