The Student Room Group

urgent

hello everyone, so I'm in year 11. I am about to take my gcses soon but I have major anxiety. I don't know how to manage that. I mean I've been taking meds everyday. I'm trying to get ahold of the teacher to have me in online lessons, But I'm not sure on how to do it. I wanted to do well and all that. But my anxiety is just making me so bad that I couldn't focus.

The people in my school scares me a lot and I don't know how to manage the amount of people in my classroom. I feel so nervous around here and I don't feel safe.

Is there anyway to help my chronic anxiety?
try and talk to your parent/carers or a doctor!! I was in the exact same position as you (I'm in year 13 now) and I managed to pass everything!! I have absolute faith in you and the fact you can do it
Reply 2
Yes - There is a point at which you decide you are in control and you want to do something about it. You don't have to suffer in the way you do, and you do have a choice. But it will involve you being determined to making changes in the way you think and the way you overcome the fears you have allowed to take root and become such a great burden.

My advice here is certainly not a substitute for proper professional medical advice. Medication can help for a while but it is far better in the longer term to manage your thoughts and breathing and be able to calm yourself down without having to resort to them. Note if you are on medication do not suddenly stop this without appropriate medical advice. However, if you can learn that your routine generalised thinking and worry habits can make your head anxious you are halfway to understanding your fears. Often that way of thinking is learned from others.

Your anxiety just didn't appear overnight, and you have probably been stuck in a particular way of thinking (learned from those people who influenced you most growing up) Sometimes being insecure and having no structures or boundaries at an early age growing up can leave you feeling anxious when you get to making your own choices. I would suggest looking at the MIND and NHS web sites and using their self care links to help you understand your own anxieties and then how to help you calm your own thought processes and feel at peace anywhere you are. This is like brain training, just as you train a muscle to run, jump, stretch.

Often anxiety is rooted in the inability to control a situation, and feeling out of control. Work out what is your worst fear. Look at why you feel that. Then you can have pre rehearsed 'escape' plans to know what is Plan A - in the event that your worst fear does happen, plan B if it doesn't, plan C for the next scenario etc etc Confront your fears head on. Your own imagination is a thousand times worse than any reality. Ask yourself why a particular fear is such a big deal for you.

Then work out strategies to help you feel calm. Be with someone, find a calm space/environment, understand your stressors be that noise, overcrowding etc and work to avoid the scenario's. Practice breathing deeply exhaling in an exaggerated way. Walk briskly for ten minutes if you start to feel anxious to 'burn off' the adrenaline.

Be pretty fatalistic about your exams. Create a mind set of its a 'rehearsal' or just say 'I will give it my best' then you genuinely can't do any more and it is in the lap of the exam Gods. But the real answer is in the pre exam prep work and that time starts now. So if you go and chat to your tutors get a plan drawn up to make the best use of your revision and study time. If you stick to the plan everything will be OK.
So what if it all goes wrong? You live, get up and start again. Yes you may lose face and have the embarrassment of telling everyone you failed, but if you are determined enough in life to succeed you will. Climb back in the saddle and carry on. More doors open for people who push the door open looking for that certain someone. They see who is there and see what is there on the other side. Far more comes from that approach to life than those who passively sit back hoping and waiting for that same door to even open should someone just happen to walk past out of sight.

Good luck. Know that this is something you don't have to put up and can kick into the long grass. After all - chronic anxiety is an absolute waste of unproductive energy - when you should be far more energy efficient! Recognise when the worry starts and deflect the troubling what if's - and block the usual thought train. Yes you can do that, practice it and be happier for it.

In between sleep, try meditation and remind yourself you do not have to be perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest