The Student Room Group

homesickness

Hello, I’m currently in my first year studying mental health nursing and I feel sick constantly.I’ve been feeling dizzy, and nauseous, I don’t feel like eating at all. I’ve been going to the toilet often and this happened before the sickness as I was on holiday. I'm currently at home and I really don't want to go back to uni. I really regret not picking a uni a bit closer to home and now I'd need to wait until 2nd year.
Reply 1
Aww hugs for you. I hope you’re feeling better?
Drink lots of clear fluids / drink squash if you can’t tolerate water and rest for the next couple of days. Try and eat dry bland foods such as toast with / without butter. It can be a shock to the system going to a new city, and quite an intense experience. MH nursing is a tough challenge for anyone, so be kind to yourself. That’s my first bit of advice.

You may be experiencing an extreme reaction to your new surrounds - more likely you’re actually a bit under the weather. Covid is currently rife, so really it’s about listening to your body. Obvs if it is covid then stay at home. Try and attend lectures if you can rule out covid, but DO communicate with your course leader and make them aware if you’re not able to attend.

It will all pass. Speak with your family, make them aware. How far away are you from them? Can they visit you just to give you a hug?
Reply 2
Original post by Strotty
Aww hugs for you. I hope you’re feeling better?
Drink lots of clear fluids / drink squash if you can’t tolerate water and rest for the next couple of days. Try and eat dry bland foods such as toast with / without butter. It can be a shock to the system going to a new city, and quite an intense experience. MH nursing is a tough challenge for anyone, so be kind to yourself. That’s my first bit of advice.

You may be experiencing an extreme reaction to your new surrounds - more likely you’re actually a bit under the weather. Covid is currently rife, so really it’s about listening to your body. Obvs if it is covid then stay at home. Try and attend lectures if you can rule out covid, but DO communicate with your course leader and make them aware if you’re not able to attend.

It will all pass. Speak with your family, make them aware. How far away are you from them? Can they visit you just to give you a hug?

I’m feeling a bit better. I decided to come back home for the weekend and I’m leaving today. My uni is in Ipswich so it’s a bit far. Just lonely. I go to my lectures and come back to my accommodation. The town seems very quiet. Honestly I kinda regret going to a uni far and I’m planning on calling up some unis to see if I can transfer after first year.
Original post by mylifeasci
Hello, I’m currently in my first year studying mental health nursing and I feel sick constantly.I’ve been feeling dizzy, and nauseous, I don’t feel like eating at all. I’ve been going to the toilet often and this happened before the sickness as I was on holiday. I'm currently at home and I really don't want to go back to uni. I really regret not picking a uni a bit closer to home and now I'd need to wait until 2nd year.

Hi sorry you are suffering obviously I'm not a doctor but have you picked up some kind of stomach bug if you are experiencing nausea and diarrhoea? As already suggested eat some bland foods and drink plenty of water . Hope you are feeling better soon
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi sorry you are suffering obviously I'm not a doctor but have you picked up some kind of stomach bug if you are experiencing nausea and diarrhoea? As already suggested eat some bland foods and drink plenty of water . Hope you are feeling better soon

Yeh I have picked up some kind of stomach bug. I’ve been going to the toilet most of the times.
Yeh I have picked up some kind of stomach bug. I’ve been going to the toilet most of the times.

How long has it been going on ? Might be worth seeing a doctor especially if your stools have been loose and watery as this can cause dehydration.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
How long has it been going on ? Might be worth seeing a doctor especially if your stools have been loose and watery as this can cause dehydration.

Over two weeks now. I haven’t registered with a gp yet which I need to do. I decided to email the well-being team.
Over two weeks now. I haven’t registered with a gp yet which I need to do. I decided to email the well-being team.

Hopefully they can advise you as to what to do next but definitely not normal having diarrhoea for over 2 weeks hope you feel better soon

It might also be worth writing a food diary to identify what foods make your symptoms worse.

Quick Reply

Latest